• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Travellers on Hove Lawns defy ban on seafront camps

by Frank le Duc
Monday 18 Jun, 2018 at 2:27PM
A A
1
Travellers on Hove Lawns defy ban on seafront camps

Traveller camp on Hove Lawns

A group of travellers defied the ban on seafront camps brought in by Brighton and Hove City Council.

Traveller camp on Hove Lawns

The council said: “We are aware that an unauthorised traveller encampment has set up on land adacent to the King Alfred on Hove Lawns.

“We have visited this site with the police and the group has been informed that they are trespassing on council-owned land and have to leave.

“We are currently working with the police to get this encampment moved on as swiftly as possible.”

At lunchtime today (Monday 18 June) the camp, made up of dozens of vehicles, remained on the lawns.

There was no sign of a police or council presence although one neighbour said that some vehicles had left during the morning.

Councillor Andrew Wealls said: “I really fail to understand why the council have allowed this to persist since Friday last week.

“The area is designated under a public space protection order, so the travellers have committed a criminal offence by camping there. The lack of action sends out entirely the wrong message.

“Perhaps the council can explain why we bothered with a PSPO in the first place if this is allowed to happen.”

The council brought in the ban on seafront camps from the start of 2017 with a public space protection order (PSPO) which lasts for three years.

Breach of a PSPO is a criminal offence under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act.

The order covered 12 locations in Brighton and Hove, including the seafront from Black Rock to Hove Lagoon.

Stanmer Park, Preston Park, Waterhall and Wild Park are among the other areas covered by the order.

The PSPO was brought in after 12 permanent pitches for gypsies and travellers were opened in St Michael’s Way, Horsdean, in the summer of 2016, alongside 21 transit pitches.

The £2.3 million project to build the permanent pitches was supported with £1.7 million of government funding.

The council said at the time that it would make it easier for the council and Sussex Police to move on unauthorised camps.

The travellers page on the council website says: “Nomadic life is not illegal and travellers have a basic right to this way of life.

“The council recognises that this has to be balanced with the rights of the general public to enjoy private and public land.”

The most recent update on camps in the area, published by the council, said: “An unauthorised encampment of van dwellers is on land at Coldean Woods.

“We will be seeking possession of this land through the county court which, once granted, will enable us to arrange for an eviction to be carried out.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. MikeyA says:
    8 years ago

    Well, that’s a shock!!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Travellers on Hove Lawns defy ban on seafront camps

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News