• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Landlord who gutted 16th century manor fined £82k

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 17 Oct, 2018 at 8:11PM
A A
1
Landlord who gutted 16th century manor fined £82k

Ewhurst Manor

A Brighton landlord who “closed his eyes” to the need for planning permission before gutting a listed manor house has been fined tens of thousands of pounds.

Lars Vestergaard, who lives in Roedean Way, bought the 16th century, Grade II listed Ewhurst Manor for £3 million in 2014 and proceeded to rip out original features, including a stone fireplace, as well as walls, floors and beams.

The house was also underpinned, which involved pouring concrete into the ground below – itself a Grade I scheduled ancient monument dating from the reign of Edward I, when the first moated manor house was built there.

When officers from Horsham District Council were made aware of the work at the end of November last year, they visited what was by then the building site – but were denied entry by Mr Vestergaard even after showing him a warrant. And even after the visit, work continued on the house.

Prosecuting on behalf of the council and Historic England, Nicholas Maggs said: “By the time they were allowed inside, it was dark and it was difficult to see precisely what had been done, but there was no doubt that significant work had been undertaken.

“They were told the defendant was carrying out repairs and restoration, but it was clear that the work went significantly beyond that. A large section of the upper floor had been removed, plaster lathe wattle and daub had been torn out, part of the ground floor, walls and fireplaces removed.

Mr Vestergaard, a Danish non-dom, said his solicitors had told him the property was listed when he bought it, but that they didn’t explain what that meant, and so he sought advice from professionals.

He said his architect, Colin Midgley, told him “in this country we don’t ask [for permission]” – but he also said that Mr Midgley had told him not to let anyone from the council onto the site if they turned up.

In a bizarre twist, it was also revealed that Mr Midgley had been the council’s informant.

Mr Vestergaard also said that a structural engineer he only knew as Tom who worked for a unnamed Brighton-based engineering firm which has since gone bust told him that in the UK you don’t need planning permission for the work he was undertaking.

However, he did not supply any paperwork or contracts between him and any tradesmen who worked there.

The prosecution also cited an application he had made for a conservatory at the Roedean Way house in 2011, after his marriage had broken down and he was intending on selling it as proof that he was aware of the UK planning system.

Mr Vestergaard added: “If I look back I can see that I haven’t been informed correctly, but if I have done something wrong then it was not done intentionally.”

He also said that the reason he had not told investigators that he had been acting on Mr Midgley’s advice was because he didn’t want to get an 60-year-old single man who “lived very humbly” into trouble.

And he said that much of the alterations he had made had not been to original features, but those installed in the 1960s or later.

However, district judge Tessa Szagun said: “I am sure that Mr Vestergaard has not been completely transparent about the state and condition of aspects he has had removed and some have been historical.

“Listing buildings is an effective protection of the historic environment and sustain its heritage values and ensure it remains for future generations to enjoy.

“I find it difficult to accept that being a resident of Roedean Way where the immediate surroundings are renowned locally as a heritage site that he wouldn’t be aware of this.

“It’s extraordinary that he would commission builders and works without establishing conditions and establish a proper scheme.

“It’s inconceivable that, knowing that this is a listed building, he would not have known this was a kind of work which would require planning permission or that that required proper oversight.

“To embark on such a project without was clearly a deliberate closing of his eyes to cut corners and costs.

“Having been informed of the requirements, work should have stopped.

“Some of Colin Midgley’s behaviour was indeed bizarre but the responsibility was Mr Vestergaard’s to ensure that the work was conducted in a professional manner.”

Mr Vestergaard told the court that although he had millions in the bank from shares he was given by the white goods company he worked as sales director for in Germany and Luxembourg, his bank would not allow him to withdraw this because of his sizeable debts.

He has exchanged contracts on his Roedean Way house, which he sold for £2.215 million, but after paying off the mortgage, his ex-wife’s share, his overdraft, lawyers fees and other fees from Ewhurst Manor, he will only be left with £58,000.

Meanwhile, the value of Ewhurst Manor itself has dropped from the £3 million he took out a 100% mortgage to buy it with in 2014 to £2 million because of its current state. The estate includes three cottages which he rents to four tenants for a total of £7,200 per month.

He was fined £22,000 for the two charges of executing works, plus a £120 victim surcharge, plus £60,592.48 in costs.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Pingback: The Importance of Obtaining Planning Permission | The Sash Window Workshop

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

New bus route to start next month

Landlord who gutted 16th century manor fined £82k

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News