• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

MP apologises for dig at ‘pointy-elbowed, middle class’ parents

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 22 Oct, 2018 at 10:36AM
A A
0
Labour picks candidate for East Brighton by-election

Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Lloyd Russell-Moyle

A Brighton MP has apologised for blaming “pointy elbowed” middle class parents for halting plans for a new school in East Brighton.

Lloyd Russell-Moyle made the comments last week on Twitter, when discussing the impact of hundreds of new homes planned in Whitehawk.

When initially confronted by parents who had campaigned around catchment changes, he stood firm in his opinion that they had put pressure on the heads of Dorothy Stringer and Varndean to take more children, lessening the need for a new school.

But he has now apologised for “unhelpful” comments and acknowledged there were a number of reasons the plan failed.

He said: “Alongside parents in East Brighton, Hanover and Queen’s Park I was and remain bitterly disappointed that a new school was not built in our area.

“This added school would have allowed corresponding catchments to be fairer, more locally based, given choice and would have supported our local schools in the east.

“There were a number of reasons the plan failed which were not just about numbers. In my frustration I blamed “middle class” parents, who of course like all parents fight for the best for their children, this was not helpful and I apologise.”

Plans for the new school were first announced by the Greens in spring 2015, during the local election campaign, when pupil projections suggested there would not be enough school places in the city by 2019. Labour won the election and continued progressing the plans, but locating a suitable site proved problematic.

Two possible sites, at City College – now the Brighton Met – in Pelham Street and the Brighton General Hospital in Elm Grove, were identified, but there were uncertainties over both which made it difficult for the school to achieve its first projected opening date of 2018.

At the same time, a wholesale reworking of school catchments was proposed, with three options ranging from one catchment per school to three super catchments of three or four schools each. None of these received widespread support

In June last year, the council announced it wanted to open at the Brighton General a year late, in 2019 – although the NHS said it had not made any formal agreement for this.

The catchment changes were also postponed, and plans to reduce the popular central catchment to fit the available places for one year were put forward to strong opposition in those areas which would have been moved to other schools’ catchments.

All the plans were finally pulled early this year after projections for increasing pupil numbers were revised downwards and other schools agreed to increase their intake for years where there were not enough places, either temporarily or permanently, to cover any bulges before numbers are forecast to fall as a trend for families to leave the city continues.

The row started when Mr Russell-Moyle replied to a Whitehawk resident who said if the plans to build hundreds of new homes there go ahead, the area would need a new school, by saying: “I agree with the new school I was devastated when it didn’t go through but I’m afraid liberal middle class parents got their way.”

After parents protested, he initially doubled down on his comments, calling them the “chattering classes” and saying he must have “touched a middle class nerve”.

He added: “Most were in favour in Hanover (somewhere I didn’t mention but clearly identifies as typical liberal middle class) but some areas (who are maybe less liberal but more wealthy) were not and their pointy elbow with central catchment headteachers pressure won out.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

MP apologises for dig at ‘pointy-elbowed, middle class’ parents

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News