• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Campaigners call public meeting to fight plans for hotel and flats in Hove

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 26 Jun, 2019 at 4:41PM
A A
1
Campaigners call public meeting to fight plans for hotel and flats in Hove

An artist’s impression of the previous RKO Developments scheme in Cromwell Road in Hove

A campaign group fighting the spread of high-rise buildings in Hove is calling a public meeting.

An artist’s impression of the RKO Developments scheme in Cromwell Road in Hove

It wants to gauge opinion about another set of plans for a tall building in the Davigdor Road and Cromwell Road area of the town.

Hove Gold, which was set up last year, is opposing plans for the seven-storey building on the corner of Cromwell Road and Palmeira Avenue – diagonally opposite the Goodwood Court flats and the Palmeira pub.

The plans have been submitted by a Northern Irish company called RKO Developments for an 80-room hotel and 80 flats and involve demolishing four or five existing properties.

The meeting is due to take place at 7.30pm on Friday (28 June) at the Holland Road Baptist Church, in Holland Road, Hove.

The group has previously campaigned against plans to build 152 flats in four blocks in Lyon Close and a proposal for offices and 52 flats in Davigdor Road.

But both schemes, near the Artisan flats in Davigdor Road, were given planning permission by Brighton and Hove City Council.

The Cromwell Road hotel scheme has attracted 139 objections so far, with some of the opponents questioning the need for a hotel.

RKO, run by Claire Leak, believes that it will be a good site, close to the county cricket ground which is due to be modernised, includes business premises and is increasingly used for events other than cricket.

One commenter whose identity has been concealed on the council’s website said that the area needed more affordable low-rise homes not more expensive tall blocks of flats.

The objection said: “I moved to this area because it is a pleasant place to live and find that we are now being surrounded by new developments.

“In particular, this area is not one that requires a hotel and that just seems like a crazy place to put this kind of development.”

Neighbours are also concerned about traffic and parking although the hotel and flats scheme includes 84 parking spaces.

Another objector whose details are redacted said: “This is a residential area, with no need for a hotel. The development will cause increased traffic flow and parking demand (which is already very pressurised).

“The building is too high and completely out of keeping for the area. It will negatively impact current local resident’s situations.

“The type of housing units proposed do not respond to local need for an increase in affordable family accommodation.”

Cromwell Road

Some objectors are worried about the impact on the busy Charter Medical Centre and local schools, particularly after the approval of plans for nearby schemes.

Another redacted comment said: “There is no need for a hotel in this part of Hove.

“The pressures on local services such as medical centres and schools will worsen and the increase in height over existing buildings will also ratchet up the acceptable level of further developments in the vicinity.”

Objections have also been lodged by the Hove Civic Society, the Brighton Society and the Regency Society.

The Regency Society and Hove Civic Society both had concerns about proposals to use black bricks and weathered steel as building materials.

They were also concerned that only 20 per cent of the flats would be classed as “affordable” and questioned the need for a hotel in the area.

The Brighton Society said that the proposed development would be opposite the Willetts Estate – a conservation area where the Victorian homes were built using predominantly yellow or cream gault brick with some faced with red brick.

RKO said that its scheme would create jobs, provide homes and include a developer contribution of about £576,000, much of it to fund schools and transport.

To see the planning application and to comment on it, go to the council website at planningapps.brighton-hove.gov.uk and search for BH2019/00127.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Wayne Jackman says:
    7 years ago

    Dear Campaigners,

    I fully support what you are trying to achieve – ie: less High Rise, less development, less traffic, better residential parking. I have moved out of Avondale Road to Worthing for just these reasons. I was born and bred in Brighton & Hove since 1957 yet felt the need to leave because of over development, high prices and too many students/young people. Those in charge nowadays have no inkling of how lovely my town, my Brighton, used to be. Glad but very sad to say goodbye to Brighton.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Campaigners call public meeting to fight plans for hotel and flats in Hove

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News