• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Housing chiefs budget £2.7m to turn empty offices into affordable council flats

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 Jun, 2021 at 8:07PM
A A
4
Plans for new Brighton doctor’s surgery at Old Steine

The council plans to spend almost £2.7 million turning an empty building near the Royal Pavilion into 10 or 11 affordable homes for people needing temporary housing.

The Regency townhouse, next to the Royal Pavilion grounds, was previously used as council offices and then by a local charity.

The proposal comes after the former occupant, the charity Team Domenica, left the premises because of the council’s plans to convert the building into a doctors’ surgery.

Those plans later fell through.

The latest scheme will need to be signed off by two Brighton and Hove City Council committees, starting next week when the Housing Committee is due to meet.

Councillors have been told that the £2.7 million budget for the project includes a payment of £890,000 for the land and building.

The sum – believed to represent a slight discount to the property’s commercial value – would be paid into the council’s “general fund” from the “housing revenue account”, which is funded by tenants’ rents.

If councillors sign off the scheme – with the final say resting with the council’s Policy and Resources Committee – about 10 months of building work could start next May.

And the first tenants could start living in the building – 62-63 Old Steine and 3-4 Palace Place – in April 2023.

A report said that if the council did not convert the building into its own accommodation, it could end up being sold to private developers for flats.

A commercial sale could net £1 million but it was likely that none of the flats would be much-needed affordable homes.

And while the building remains empty, the cost to secure, maintain and repair the site, as well as paying utilities and business rates, was about £40,000 a year.

The proposal for 11 homes would include nine one-bedroom flats and two with two bedrooms.

The nine one-bedroom flats would be made up of five for a single tenant and four for couples. The two-bed flats would be designed for three people and could include young families.

At current prices, rents would be about £135 a week for a one-bedroom flat and £177 for two bedrooms.

The conversion is expected to cost about £1.2 million with a further £410,000 set aside for “zero carbon” work – and about £160,000 for professional fees.

The council proposes spending £530,000 from its “right to buy” receipts, £410,000 from the “sustainability and retrofit reserve”, £345,000 from the sale of land in Braypool Lane, Patcham, and almost £1.4 million from the housing revenue account.

More than 2,000 people live in temporary housing locally, much of which is leased from private landlords, while about 200 people a night stay in emergency housing.

The Housing Committee is due to give its verdict on the scheme in a meeting scheduled to start at 4pm next Wednesday (23 June) and which should be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Rostrum says:
    5 years ago

    2.7million !!!!!! Are you have a giraffe….
    What are they spending it on – gold taps…

    Reply
    • Robin Hislop says:
      5 years ago

      2.7 million for 11 flats in the centre of town is very cheap. This location is ideal for temporary housing because it doesn’t have any nimby neighbours to moan about the project. And it will provide housing to people who desperately need it.

      Reply
  2. Greens Out says:
    5 years ago

    Wow! This council sure knows how to p*** money up the wall on ridiculous projects

    Reply
  3. fed-up with brighton politics says:
    5 years ago

    This doesn’t make much, if any, sense, but I’m not brilliant at maths. Why spend all this taxpayers’ money in the very expensive heart of the city for temporary accommodation, which may or may not be in any way ‘affordable’ for the tenants – probably not – when the council could find something cheaper out of the centre? I have long since given up trying to understand/justify anything this council does, but this makes no sense at all. £160k for ‘professional fees’??!! I thought the council officers were supposed to be professionals. Oh dearie me!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Rostrum Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

School building to become temporary charity hub

Housing chiefs budget £2.7m to turn empty offices into affordable council flats

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
June 2021
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News