• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Plan to put phone mast on landmark seafront building rejected

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 4 Dec, 2024 at 10:37PM
A A
6
Poor reception for plan to put mobile phone mast on listed building

St Margaret's Court in Rottingdean

Councillors have rejected plans to put a mobile phone mast on the roof of a landmark seafront building.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee threw out the proposal on behalf of EE and Three for St Margaret’s Court, at the southern end of Rottingdean High Street.

The committee was told that the antenna would replace the “emergency” mast which was put up in the nearby Marine Cliffs car park, in Marine Drive.

The emergency tower went up after the previous mast was removed so that the White Horse pub and hotel could be refurbished.

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Bridget Fishleigh told the committee that temporary structure would have to go by October next year and she urged the phone firms to find a better site.

Councillor Fishleigh, who represents Rottingdean and West Saltdean, said: “We are in a telephone mast merry-go-round in Rottingdean, a tower for an independent company was refused earlier in the year as well as two other masts.

“The fact is that residents and businesses desperately need connectivity.”

At Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Wednesday 4 December), she urged the applicant, Mobile Broadband Network Limited (MBNL), to get in touch with her as they look for a suitable site.

She said that she understood why the residents did not want masts on their roof – and Rottingdean is a conservation area, bordered by the South Downs National Park.

St Margaret’s resident Bill Ainscow said that he and his neighbours had spent a lot of money ensuring their locally listed art deco home was maintained to its historic standard.

Mr Ainscow said that there were masts on the roof already and their size and number had increased twice in the past two years.

MBNL’s agent Simon Bucknell, of Dot Surveying, said that St Margaret’s Court was the most obvious site in Rottingdean because of its height – and it already hosted masts.

He said that the emergency services communications networks were moving to EE next year and a lack of network would cause problems for ambulance, fire, police and government services.

Green councillor Sue Shanks voted in favour, saying: “It’s not just about the people who live in that building when you talk about communications. It’s vital for everybody in Rottingdean to have use of mobile phones.

“We’re all sitting here using the wifi and mobile phones. It’s not going to be seen from the front of the building. It’s not seen from the conservation area. But in the end it’s about a balance.”

Labour councillor Tobias Sheard also voted in favour, saying: “I understand the residents’ perspective. I wouldn’t be best pleased if this was effectively going in the area I think of as my garden.

“For people living in taller buildings, this is part of reality. We need high points for these.”

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald voted against the proposal, saying: “This is a lovely building. It’s a locally listed heritage asset and this would look very ugly and be highly visible.

“There’s a lot of equipment on this … and there’s the loss of the communal roof space.”

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Mark Earthey, who represents Rottingdean and West Saltdean, said that alternative sites had not been adequately considered.

He said: “I’m anecdotally aware of at least two other buildings that have come forward to volunteer to be a location.

“At least one of those has hosted these arrays before. Rottingdean did not have a problem with mobile phone capacity until a couple of years ago.”

Labour councillor Alison Thomson said: “It is difficult. We know businesses have been affected. But it does seem like this is not the right spot. I do hope the applicant will find an alternative.”

A report by planning officials recommended refusing the application and the committee did so by eight votes to two.

Locally listed St Margaret’s Court was built in 1938, designed by Richard Jones and built by Charles Neville’s Saltdean Estate Company.

The company also built the grade II* listed Saltdean Lido and grade II listed Ocean Hotel in Saltdean which were also designed by Jones.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Michael Baker says:
    1 year ago

    Why not put it on the telephone exchange which is just behind the seafront. Easy connectability. No laying of cables.

    Reply
  2. Michael Baker says:
    1 year ago

    Why not put it on telephone exchange just behind the seafront.

    Reply
  3. MikeyMike says:
    1 year ago

    Good. In an age where everything is getting smaller and smaller why are these ugly things getting larger and larger?
    Meantime everyone’s signal seems to be worse than when were on 2G

    Reply
    • Bob Johnson says:
      1 year ago

      When you were on 2G you made phone calls. On 4G\5G you stream the football, talk on WhatsApp, pay your bills and do everything you used to do an a computer on a phone. Not surprising the technology has to get bigger to handle that.

      Reply
  4. Preston parker says:
    1 year ago

    It would have happened if dear old Nimrod Ping was still in charge !

    Reply
  5. Serena Mitchell says:
    1 year ago

    Glad to see another group of residents win their fight against private residential home roof thieves EE. These giant telecoms don’t care about the stress they cause homeowners and residents who do not profit from these sites.
    They use remote agents who are not local, and just take the easiest cheapest option when scanning maps from their remote offices to choose a site. If the White Horse, which is already a commercial building, has hosted the masts before, it would make sense to host them there again.

    There are other options too for 5G rollout, street furniture masts etc. but the big corps just want to maximise profit over better alternatives. The emergency service arguement is a load of BS. A red herring.

    Thank goodness the Council put the local residents first and listened to them.

    I led the two and half year campaign to fight off MBNL who were trying to steal our roof in Hove..it was incredibly stressful but we won. All.power to Rottingdean.

    Cllr Bridget works in the telecoms industry and said to.me at a committee meeting she’d been happy to host a mast on the roof of her home. Perhaps, as a Rottingdean resident, she should step forward and volunteer. Perhaps this is what she meant about alternative sites. Stick in on her house.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Michael Baker Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Plan to put phone mast on landmark seafront building rejected

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
December 2024
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News