• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Daughter of MP killed in Grand hotel bombing made CBE for peace work

by Rod Minchin - PA
Friday 13 Jun, 2025 at 10:33PM
A A
0
Daughter of MP killed in Grand hotel bombing made CBE for peace work

Jo Berry at a memorial service in Brighton on the 25th anniversary of the Grand hotel bombing - Picture by Chris Ison / PA

The daughter of an MP murdered in the Grand hotel bombing in Brighton 40 years ago has spoken of her pride at being made a CBE.

Jo Berry, 67, has dedicated her life to peace and reconciliation since the death of her father Sir Anthony Berry, the former Conservative MP for Enfield Southgate.

The bombing on Friday 12 October 1984 tore apart the hotel where the Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and members of her cabinet were staying while the Conservative Party conference took place.

Five people, including Sir Anthony, were killed in the explosion and 34 others were injured.

The bomber, IRA member Patrick Magee, was handed eight life sentences at the Old Bailey in 1986, with a recommendation that he serve a minimum of 35 years.

He was released 13 years later in 1999 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

Two days after the bombing, Ms Berry, who was 27 at the time, embraced peace rather than hatred and as part of her work she met Magee in 2000.

Since then, they have appeared together at events hundreds of times.

In 2009, she set up the Building Bridges for Peace charity and has now been honoured for her lifetime’s work by becoming a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).

She said: “When I read the letter I was in shock, such a surprise. I’m deeply honoured to receive this award. It was not something that ever occurred to me it would happen.

“For me it’s about everyone who’s supported me on my journey to help me achieve what I’ve achieved. I also see it as for everyone who’s chosen empathy over hatred.

“For me, it’s about recognising our shared humanity even after loss and pain. It’s recognising that it has been a 40-year journey when I made the decision to not hate, not go for revenge.

“Just two days afterwards I wanted to bring something positive out of it and I was only 27 and now I’m 67 and I’ve still got so much more to achieve – and this award will help.

“I think the hardest thing I had to do was what I chose to do. The hardest thing I chose to do was build the bridge with Patrick Magee, the man who killed my dad. And rather than blaming him, I listened to him.

“It was hard but it was also transformational and I know it’s given a lot of people hope of what is possible.

“I’ve dedicated my life to peace and reconciliation and that’s what I got this award for. I’m just so moved by it. I can’t put it into words, I’m so happy.”

Reflecting on current global instabilities with the war in Ukraine and the conflict in the Middle East, Ms Berry, of Frome, Somerset, said: “There are people right now who are choosing not to hate even in the midst of conflict.

“Even after being bereaved, I know there are people who have huge courage. This award, it really makes me think of everyone who’s caught up in those wars and the violence, sending love and support.

Jo Berry and Patrick Magee in London in 2004 on the 20th anniversary of the Grand hotel bombing in Brighton – Picture by Kirsty Wigglesworth / PA

“I feel this award will give me a higher profile and I haven’t finished bringing anything positive so maybe there’s more I can do.

“I have done some international work and I would like to do some more.

“We all need hope, and we all need to be listened to and understood. My message is about shared humanity, that dehumanising anyone does not bring us peace.”

Ms Berry said that she was looking forward to her investiture and hoped to take her three daughters with her.

She said: “They are my rock and without them I couldn’t have done what I’ve done. The oldest one is nearly 35. They are incredible. I’d like to bring them, I don’t know how many people you can bring.

“My dad was made a Sir before he was killed and he had six children and I remember he said any of us could come so he wanted to do it fair.

“He was such a fair man that we drew lots and I remember the two that went, it wasn’t me.

“I think he’d be very proud. Sadly, my mum, who only died two years ago, she would be very proud as well.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Daughter of MP killed in Grand hotel bombing made CBE for peace work

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
June 2025
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News