• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Seafront bus lane to stay

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 13 May, 2026 at 4:45AM
A A
23
Have a nose round a new Brighton bus

A seafront bus lane that was introduced under an experimental traffic order is going to stay.

The bus lane was introduced by Brighton and Hove City Council in Marine Parade between Rock Place and Broad Street in March last year.

Last Thursday (8 May), the council said that the bus lane would become a permanent fixture after a six-month consultation as part of an experimental traffic order.

The lane was funded out of a £28 million grant given to the council by the Department for Transport for the Bus Service Improvement Plan in 2022.

Before the bus lane was created under the experimental order, almost 900 people responded to a public consultation held in May and June 2024.

Around half of all comments said that the bus lane should be made longer and a third of responders thought it would speed up journeys.

The lane resulted in the loss parking bays on the south side of Marine Parade and a loading bay restricted from 6am to 6pm and then used for taxies overnight.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 23

  1. Charlie Herbert says:
    3 months ago

    More deliberately engineered congestion.
    Thank you , BHCC!

    Reply
  2. Ann E Nicky says:
    3 months ago

    Congestion is caused by too many people using too many cars when a perfectly good bus service exists. Personally, I welcome this initiative but would welcome cheaper fares.

    Reply
    • BertY says:
      3 months ago

      Ah – the standard comment from pro-cycling, motorist-demonising, activists that we gave come to expect.

      Could also say that VG3, with it’s obsession of pandering to groups such as Bricycles, is the problem.

      I remember when the OSR cycle lane extension caused congestion and increased pollution and the cycling groups said it was the motorists fault and they should cycle instead. Thankfully that genius scheme got removed.

      Will be interesting to see quantitative figures on how well cyclists use the new facilities and whether they give priority to pedestrians at crossing points.

      For me it’s just more encouragement to drive elsewhere and only visit Brighton when I absolutely have to.

      Reply
      • BertY says:
        3 months ago

        Yes please go elsewhere

        Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        3 months ago

        We must be reading a different comment, because that’s a perfectly reasonable comment from Ann. She’s said nothing to cycling, so that’s just a red herring, isn’t it? I think her suggestion is a reasonable one, too. If fares were cheaper, more people would be inclined to use the buses; I’d point to Germany in my own experience of a system where their local tram and bus service was five euros for unlimited usage throughout the day.

        Your point about cyclists not obeying road signals is tangential, but I agree with the spirit of it. I think the main way to correct that is to mandate identification on the bikes, such as number plates, to make them accountable. Right now, and this is reflected in the stats, it is very easy to get away with those behaviours.

        Reply
    • Brighton girl says:
      3 months ago

      Actually if you look at the OSR cycle lane failure you will see now that there isn’t half as much congestion as there was when it was there so that is all the proof you need. Like the seafront the congestion is a lot worse now due to the cycle lane than it was before but that is what happens when you make a two lane road and one lane road. All the evidence is there but certain groups and councilor friends if those groups do not want to see it.

      Reply
    • Tracy Ward says:
      3 months ago

      They are also manufacturing congestion for buses where roads are narrowed to the point where buses can no longer overtake each other in St James Street and Western Road. Explain that if BHCC care about bus users. Plus the removal of many useful stops in the city forcing people to walk a lot further when they may be elderly or have vulnerabilities. What they’ve done in VG3 is dangerous for bus users and pedestrians and has not improved the experience for either. A tiny bit of bus lane just before the road divides into three at the Marine Drive approach to the Aquarium is pointless and saves no one any time.

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        3 months ago

        That’s a strawman argument. You can’t make any conclusions about the aquarium bus lane at the moment, since the road isn’t completed yet.

        Reply
    • Matt Friend says:
      3 months ago

      You do realise the seafront is just one section of the A259 which runs from Hampshire to Kent? Some journeys will be longer distance and even if Brighton is their destination they may well have come from somewhere with a very limited bus service or none at all. They might also have age or mobility issues, large families or need to move equipment or goods that you wouldn’t welcome on a bus! Don’t assume everyone is fortunate enough to have a frequent bus service at the end of their road or that they’re able to use a bus even if they do.

      Reply
      • Ann E Nicky says:
        3 months ago

        If people are not coming to Brighton there is a functioning bypass in existence. I have mobility issues and might be considered elderly by some. I have not ridden a bike in over 40 years. I welcome any initiative that reduces traffic, relieves congestion and makes the city more pleasurable and accessible whilst improving the air and atmosphere. Added to that I recognise that we cannot continue to be lazy and ignore the repercussions of our actions/inaction with regards to the planet. We need to act now so that future generations are not saddled with the consequences of our bad behaviour. We have to look at the long-term picture not the short-term convenience.

        Reply
  3. BertY says:
    3 months ago

    I wonder what the quantitative results of the “experimental order” was?

    What was the feedback from road users?

    Did the council have before and after monitoring of traffic flows, and did this achieve defined objectives?

    Reply
  4. Robert Brown says:
    3 months ago

    Yet again a manufactured ‘consultation’ where we all knew they were not going to reverse the horrendously bad decision to create this ‘bus lane’, which has done nothing to speed up the buses that use that stretch of Marine Parade. Yet another waste of taxpayers’ money. Instead, the congestion has moved down towards and past Lower Rock, with traffic now trying to merge before they have to, causing actual delays in buses before they get to the bus lane. In addition, am often seeing additional delays in traffic turning right from Lower Rock, and we have on many occasions spent far too long trying to get along that stretch of road since the introduction of the bus lane – both in cars and buses. You are then having to contend with buses trying to get out of the bus lane to go into the right hand lanes, again, causing additional congestion issues. It is ill-thought out, badly done and once again shows this administration failing to listen to residents and businesses.

    Reply
  5. Mike Beasley says:
    3 months ago

    It’s an open secret that cllr Muten is a keen cyclist and is in bed with cycling lobbyists at Bricycles and Sustrans.
    When it all goes wrong, you know who to blame

    Reply
  6. Tracy Ward says:
    3 months ago

    Why? It’s dangerous and in the way.

    Reply
  7. Gunner265 says:
    3 months ago

    It’s all part of their bigger plan, to course loads of congestion so they can implement a congestion charge and a ULEZ zone. Not all of us can use buses etc due to working unsociable hours. Ironically i work in the rail industry and there’s no trains at can get me to Eastbourne for my 04:30 start time or past my 01:54 finishing time when on latest. Brighton has become so un- family friendly in recent years. It’s now a business by the sea, for the queer, hen or stah-do’s.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 months ago

      Conspiracy. There’s been absolutely no mention or plan of any ULEZ implementation.

      Reply
      • David says:
        3 months ago

        They said exactly the same thing in every area that now has a ULEZ zone

        Average time from conspiracy to fact, is anywhere between 6 months to 2 years

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          3 months ago

          Nonsense. Not even remotely true.

          Reply
      • Mr Martin Denny says:
        3 months ago

        Yet!

        Reply
  8. Lara P says:
    3 months ago

    In May 2027 I would pay good money to go the election count and watch Trevor Muten and Bella Sankey lose their seats. Yet again another scheme waived though on anti-democratic powers.

    Reply
  9. Li says:
    3 months ago

    Bla bla bla, why don’t people stop all the moans, and appreciate things in life..

    Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      3 months ago

      But Li, it’s a classic British pastime! We all love a good moan.

      Reply
  10. Michael Galvin says:
    3 months ago

    Can’t wait to be able to cycle safely all the way from Hove via the Pier to Preston Park where I work. Thankyou Brighton and Hove Council .

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Seafront bus lane to stay

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News