• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Government awards £2.5m towards cost of flats for old people in Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Friday 9 Aug, 2013 at 11:40AM
A A
1

A proposal to build 45 “extra care” flats for old people in Brighton has won £2.5 million funding from the government.

The self-contained flats will be built on the site of Brooke Mead, an old block of council bedsits in Albion Street which is due to be demolished.

The 45 self-contained one and two-bedroom flats will be purpose-built for older people who wish to continue to live independently but with care and support available when needed.

Brighton and Hove City Council said that it would also contribute towards the cost of the £9 million project with the rest of the funding coming from rents.

Councillor Rob Jarrett, chairman of the council’s Adult Care and Health Committee, said: “We’re very keen to increase the amount of specialised housing for older people and adults with disabilities.

“Extra care housing is a win-win because it enables vulnerable people to maintain their independence but in a supported environment.

“It has proved very popular so this is a massive step forward for us.”

Councillor Bill Randall, chairman of the council’s Housing Committee, said: “The Brooke Mead scheme will help meet the growing demand for extra care housing in the city.

“Thirty per cent of the council’s sheltered housing tenants are aged 80 or more and 49 per cent are disabled.

“Extra care housing provides a cost-effective way of helping them and other older people in the city maintain their independence.”

The ‘new’ Brooke Mead has been designed to national Lifetime Homes standards to meet residents’ changing abilities and circumstances.

The council said that particular care had been taken in the design to cater for the needs of people with dementia.

And 10 per cent of the accommodation will be fully wheelchair-accessible.

The funding is subject to planning approval. An application has been submitted and is due to be considered by the council’s Planning Committee in October.

Should planning permission be granted, the council hopes that work on the scheme will start at the end of the year with residents moving in at the end of next year.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    13 years ago

    The blocks of flats in the Hove Station vicinity are ideal (flat ground, close to transport links)for older and disabled people. Instead of transferring every flat to Seaside Homes when vacated, BHCC should be harvesting them as set-asides for allocation to the elderly. Extra care could easily be achieved there too.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Government awards £2.5m towards cost of flats for old people in Brighton

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
August 2013
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News