• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Police and licensing officials oppose Brighton takeaway owner’s request to stay open later

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 11 Jun, 2019 at 11:56AM
A A
0
Police and licensing officials oppose Brighton takeaway owner’s request to stay open later

A late-night takeaway owner wants to sell food until midnight but police and licensing officers are opposing his plans.

Fadi Bedewi, 35, runs Grill 66 in Queen’s Road, Brighton, and wants a late-night refreshment licence so that he can serve customers an hour after his current 11pm closing time.

Brighton and Hove City Council licensing officer Emma Bullen said that she was concerned about the prevention of crime and disorder and public nuisance.

While Mr Bedewi had no plan to sell alcohol, the takeaway was in a central part of Brighton and Hove that had been designated a “cumulative impact area” because of the saturation of licensed premises such as pubs, bars and clubs.

The council’s policies restricted the granting of new or extended licences in the cumulative impact area, save in exceptional circumstances, because it tended to have more crime and disorder, especially at night.

The takeaway, yards from Brighton railway station, is in the St Peter’s and North Laine ward which has the highest rate of alcohol-related incidents recorded by the police in Brighton and Hove.

Inspector Robert Lovell said in a formal letter of objection: “Sussex Police believe that granting this application will add to the existing negative cumulative effect in an area already saturated with late-opening licensed premises.”

He said: “Sussex Police have concerns over the granting of a new licence at this premises due to its location.

“Dispersal of persons from the city centre making their way to the train station or towards residential areas surrounding Queen’s Road will be impacted by a late-night refreshment premises.

“It would keep persons in the area longer, increasing the risk of crime and disorder and public nuisance.”

Ms Bullen said in her letter of objection that the takeaway had advertised later opening hours in 2017.

She said: “I wrote to the premises twice in December 2017 following a query from police licensing asking if the premises had a licence for late-night refreshment.

“At that time the premises was advertising its opening times online and on the premises as Tuesday to Thursday from 5pm until 12am and Friday and Saturday from 5pm until 2am.

“Letters of advice were written and the venue was monitored by police licensing on several occasions and was not found to be trading after 11pm so the case was closed.”

Grill 66 has since used “temporary event notices” to enable legal later opening on key nights of the year.

Mr Bedewi said that he inadvertantly opened too late when he bought the business in 2017 but had since kept to the letter of the law.

He committed to having security cameras as well as employing qualified door staff for the later trading times.

Mr Bedewi said that his takeaway was on the edge of the “cumulative impact area” and next to an area with more relaxed policies. These permitted takeaways to serve until midnight.

He said: “One has seen the authorities argue before, where premises have been just outside the CIZ (cumulative impact zone), that CIZ considerations should still be applied. So the reverse would equally apply.”

He said that Queen’s Road was one of the main streets serving the late-night economy and added that staying open after 11pm would not create problems, whether of crime and disorder or public nuisance.

He said that he had legally stayed open until 1am for Pride and Halloween when staff supervised the premises and there had been no problems.

The application, to trade unti midnight seven nights a week, is due to be decided by a licensing panel made up of three councillors at Hove Town Hall next Tuesday (18 June).

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

New bus route to start next month

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Police and licensing officials oppose Brighton takeaway owner’s request to stay open later

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News