• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Recently retired Brighton and Hove councillors recognised for 250 years of service

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 25 Jul, 2019 at 3:20PM
A A
0
Labour seeks to allay concerns as it prepares to scrap ‘neighbourhoods’ committee

Hove Town Hall

Dozens of recently retired Brighton and Hove councillors were recognised today (Thursday 25 July) for more than 250 years of public service.

Mayor Alex Phillips proposed conferring the title of honorary alderman and alderwoman on 10 of those with the longest and most senior service.

More than a dozen others were formally thanked for their service and received a certificate from Brighton and Hove City Council.

Councillor Nancy Platts, the leader of the council, was the first to second the motion proposing the honour and thanks.

The opposition leader, Green Party convenor Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty, said: “There are hundreds of years of service from the former councillors here with us. That is an amazing achievement.

“We place on record our thanks for their service.

“The work of councillors is often unglamorous, not showy either, but arguably never has it been more important.”

He said that there were not many formal ways of “showing our gratitude” and – unusually in the council chamber – he won cross-party applause for his tribute.

Conservative leader Councillor Steve Bell added: “All these past councillors here in the chamber, they’re all looking a lot healthier. Maybe there’s something for all of us to look forward to in the years ahead.”

The recognition came at a special meeting of the council at Hove Town Hall this afternoon.

Brighton and Hove’s new aldermen and alderwomen are

Jayne Bennett – She was elected in 1999 and served as both a Conservative and Independent councillor for Hove Park and Goldsmid wards. During her time as a councillor she chaired the Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

Denise Cobb – She was also first elected in 1999 and represented Westbourne ward for the Conservatives. During her time as a councillor she served as mayor and chaired the Licensing Committee.

Lynda Hyde – She was also first elected in 1999 and represented Rottingdean Coastal ward for the Conservatives. During her time as a councillor she served as mayor and chaired the Planning Committee.

Mo Marsh – She was first elected in 1995 in the old Marine ward and from 2007 in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward for Labour. During her time as a councillor she served as mayor and chaired the Licensing Committee.

Anne Meadows – She was first elected in 1994 in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward for Labour, switching earlier this year to the Conservatives. During her time as a councillor she served as mayor and chaired the Housing Committee.

Gill Mitchell – She was first elected in 1993 and represented East Brighton ward for Labour. During her time as a councillor she served as deputy leader of the council and leader of the opposition as well as chairing the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee.

Warren Morgan – He was first elected in 2003 and also represented East Brighton ward for Labour, switching to the Independent Group, also known as Change UK, earlier this year. During his time as a councillor he served as leader of the council for three years.

Ann Norman – She was first elected in 1995 and represented Withdean ward for the Conservatives. During her time as a councillor she served as mayor and chaired the Audit and Standards Committee.

Ken Norman – He joined his wife on the council in Withdean ward in 2002 also for the Conservatives.  During his time as a councillor he served as the cabinet member for adult social care and chaired the Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

Geoffrey Theobald – He was first elected in 1968 and represented Patcham ward for the Conservatives. During his time as a councillor he served as cabinet member for the environment and leader of the opposition.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Recently retired Brighton and Hove councillors recognised for 250 years of service

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
July 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News