Brighton Zip Wire submits plans to council

Posted On 13 Jun 2016 at 9:34 pm

The plans for the Brighton Zip Wire have been submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council, the attraction’s agent said today (Monday 13 June).

The new attraction is intended as a replacement for the Brighton Wheel which closed and was taken down last month.

Property firm Stiles Harold Williams (SHW) said: “The building of the Brighton Zip Wire attraction to replace the Brighton Wheel took a step forward this week as a new planning application was lodged with the city council and is currently out to consultation.”

SHW described the proposed Brighton Zip Wire as an adrenaline-filled 300-metre long, 20-metre descent along the seafront aimed at attracting tourists and thrill-seekers all year round.

The Medical

zipwire

SHW said: “The planned £1.7 million site – to be designed by Jon Turner Architects – includes a new café space and the Zip Tower would only be half the height of the Brighton Wheel.”

The firm added that the initial opening of the ride could take place later this summer with the café under construction soon after.

SHW’s head of planning Ian Coomber, who is acting as the planning consultant for the Brighton Zip, said: “We are thrilled to be involved in a further exciting project for this stretch of the seafront.

“The area to the east of Brighton Pier is in need of regeneration and Brighton Zip has the potential to provide jobs, joy and a jazzed up promenade.

“Alongside those eager to visit the i360, Brighton Zip will generate significant revenue and broaden the appeal of the tourism offer or the city.

“It is a suitable replacement for the much-loved Brighton Wheel that has sadly needed to vacate the site.”

Delso Da Silva, from the Brighton Zip, said: “Local businesses and many residents were saddened by the loss of the Brighton Wheel.

“Visually it has been very noticeable on this stretch of seafront which is not without its problems.

“The Brighton Zip and Café offers a replacement family seafront attraction that is fresh to the city and never been done before.

“We hope the application is supported and planning consent granted with the minimum of delay as the overall loss of visitor attractions along the beach of late does not assist the tourism economy of Brighton.”

The application reference number is BH2016/01719. For a link to the application, click here.

Leave a Reply

*