Villagers warned over toxic pond

Posted On 22 Mar 2018 at 3:57 pm

Residents and tourist are being warned to stay clear of Falmer Village Pond until further notice because of a toxic algae bloom.

Stock image of Falmer village pond from www.geograph.org


Test results show the popular pond, beside St Lawrence’s Church, Lewes, is contaminated with blue-green algae which can be very harmful to the public and animals.

Brighton and Hove City Council has erected warning signs and is working closely with the Environment Agency to resolve the situation, while contacting the public.

Councillor Gill Mitchell, chair of the city’s environment, transport and sustainability committee, said: “It’s extremely important people are aware of this blue-green algae and the danger it poses to themselves and their pets.

The Medical

“Many dog walkers allow their pets to run into the pond, but we would urge them to stay clear until the signage comes down and we say the pond is safe again.”

Although algae occur naturally in inland waters, one of the main reasons for algae developing in the pond is visitors feeding the birds and fish. This maintains high levels of nutrients in the pond which can result in algae blooms.

The blooms produce toxins that can kill wild animals, livestock and pets. They can also harm people, producing rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

The algae also uses up oxygen in the water at night which can suffocate fish and other creatures.

Although the pond is situated in Lewes, the land is owned by the city council which is responsible for its upkeep.

Cllr Mitchell added: “The Environment Agency alerted us to this danger on Wednesday and our teams immediately began taking action to warn people.

“We have erected signs and will be working with the Environment Agency on the future management of the pond to ensure it is safe in the future, though this may take some months.”

  1. Mrs D wickham Reply

    My granddaughter was at falmer pond tuesday after school to feed ducks, she was taken to hospital 5 this morning as had temperature of 42 and sore throat and she is athsmatic ……… discrasefull shpuld be checked everyday by the owner!!!!

  2. Debbie Mitchell Reply

    I live next to the pond, walk around it regularly. I have seen no signs up, and have not been notified. As a resident of Falmer, I should have been told immediately. We are a close community, and think if this true I would have been informed straight away by our Parish Council?

Leave a Reply

*