• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hove woman barred from her own home for making life a misery for her neighbours

by Frank le Duc
Friday 10 Sep, 2010 at 3:18PM
A A
0

A woman has been barred from her flat in Hove after a court heard claims of drug taking, foul language and abusive behaviour.

Lisa Hollings, 28, had her property “closed” in only the third case of its type in the city.

Brighton magistrates were told about a catalogue of anti-social behaviour at the property – Flat 37 in Conway Court.

Examples included two serious assaults, intimidating neighbours, playing loud music, blood on the walls and dog’s mess in communal areas.

Other problem behaviour associated with the flat included persistent begging, aggressive behaviour from visitors and the slamming of doors.

She was said to have made her neighbours’ lives hell.

The property is next to Honeycroft children’s after school club in Sackville Road.

The court was told that young children were exposed to the risk of used needles discarded in the play area and shouting and swearing.

Brighton Magistrates’ Court awarded Brighton and Hove City Council a closure order under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 this week to end months of persistent anti-social behaviour.

The council said that the successful case was brought through close partnership work with Sussex Police.

It said that a closure order was a last resort and a great deal of work had previously taken place to try to end the anti-social behaviour.

Inspector Jason Hazzard, who leads Hove’s neighbourhood policing team, said: “The legislation used to close this address allows the authorities to give respite to neighbours who have witnessed and suffered anti-social behaviour from this tenant and those that visited her.

“This is the second closure of a property in Hove in the last six months and sends a clear message that there are serious consequences for those that choose to behave in this way.”

Richard Jordan, the council’s social inclusion team manager, said: “Anti-social behaviour has a serious impact on people’s lives and this result sends a clear message that it will not be tolerated in the city.”

He said that the council was committed to acting swiftly and decisively when dealing with tenants making a serious nuisance of themselves.

He added: “We will continue work with the perpetrator to ensure that we are not just moving the problem elsewhere.”

The property was secured immediately after the court hearing and will remain closed for three months.

Any unauthorised person found entering the property during the closure period including the resident and her associates will be committing an offence.

During this period the council will apply for an eviction order.

Councillor Maria Caulfield, the council’s cabinet member for housing, said: “While these powers are only used as a last resort we cannot allow residents’ or their guests’ behaviour to make neighbours’ lives a misery.

“I applaud the patient and painstaking work by Sussex Police who worked with council officers to provide the evidence needed to close this premises.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Hove woman barred from her own home for making life a misery for her neighbours

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2010
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News