• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Conservatives attack higher charges for Brighton and Hove allotment holders

by Frank le Duc
Monday 20 Feb, 2012 at 6:43PM
A A
0

Brighton and Hove Conservative councillors want to “down tools” over higher allotment charges.

The Tory group said that instead of charging more for plots the ruling Greens should cut the subsidy paid to union officials who work for Brighton and Hove City Council.

If they did this, said the Conservatives, then they wouldn’t need to put allotment charges up by 70 per cent.

Councillor Geoffrey Theobald said that his party would try to bring about these changes to the Greens’ first budget on Thursday (23 February).

The draft budget proposes putting up the annual fees paid by allotment holders from £33 to £55 for a half plot and from £66 to £111 for a full plot over the next two years.

The Conservative proposal, if agreed, would restrict these increases to £3 for a half plot and £6 for a full plot.

The more modest rise would be paid for by reducing the amount of taxpayer funded trade union “facility time” within the council.

Councillor Theobald, leader of the opposition Conservative group, said: “This is a very simple choice for the Greens and Labour – do they support the city’s allotment holders or would they rather see taxpayers continue to fund trade union activity within the council at a level which is the third highest among all unitary authorities in the country.”

Baffled

Newly elected Westbourne ward councillor Graham Cox, who is himself an allotment holder, said: “Many of us are completely baffled by the Green Party decision to scrap the historic allotment subsidy.

“Talking to fellow allotment holders, they are really worried that poorer people and pensioners will no longer be able to rent an allotment in our city.

“These increases of 70 per cent by the Greens will raise a tiny sum of money in the context of a £750 million budget.

“The Green Party devoted a whole section of their election manifesto to the virtues of allotments, including how they help give people access to cheaper good food.

“It is hard to imagine a less green action, and I know that many allotment holders who voted for the Green Party are very disappointed.”

Councillor Pete West, a Green cabinet member, said at a recent meeting that allotments had historically been subsidised in Brighton and Hove.

He blamed the coalition government’s spending cuts for forcing the council to review subsidised services such as allotments.

It had been intended to put up the charges to the proposed levels from the next financial year but Councillor West said that the changes would now be phased in over two years.

Last year Councillor Jason Kitcat, the Greens’ finance chief, defended the subsidy that enabled staff to undertake union duties during work time.

He said that this saved the council money in the long run by preventing disputes from escalating and had been supported by previous Labour and Conservative administrations.

He did say that the number of staff involved would be reviewed as part of the council’s efforts to save money.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

School building to become temporary charity hub

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Conservatives attack higher charges for Brighton and Hove allotment holders

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Café can become gym after plans approved

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Load More
February 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News