People supporting and opposing the March for England in Brighton on Sunday (27 April) have been ordered to stay apart.
Sussex Police announced that they were imposing the legal orders today – St George’s Day.
Scores of people are expected to take part in the march and protest, which last year cost the taxpayer £500,000 in policing costs and forced seafront businesses to close.
In an attempt to keep the peace, Sussex Police today issued two notices aimed at keeping the nationalist group and counter-protesters apart before the march.
The force said that anyone who fails to obey could face arrest.
Superintendent Steve Whitton, of Sussex Police, said: “As always, our priority is public safety, whether they be in the march, counter protest or anyone else in the city.
“It is vitally important that those attending the event work with us and comply with directions or other restrictions which we will need to give to keep people safe.
“Unlawful behaviour – or that which goes beyond what could be considered reasonable in terms of peaceful protest – will not be tolerated.”
The conditions have been imposed under the Public Order Act 1986.
The first states that the March for England should only assemble on the eastbound carriageway of the A259 King’s Road between West Street and Middle Street.
The second restricts counter-protesters to assembling on the seafront promenade south of King’s Road between the corner of Black Lion Street and East Street.
The notices add that protests should take place only between 11am and 2pm.
The seafront march is due to begin at 12.30pm. Once the nationalist group reaches Pool Valley it will turn round and return to the West Street junction.
It is expected to finish at about 1.30pm with roads reopening shortly after.
Sussex Police added that those taking part in the march would not be allowed to carry banners, other than those in support of the March for England or the cross of St George.
The police said that they would also be prevented from engaging in any unlawful behaviour.
Officers added that they would have the right to stop and search people on the day.
Anyone wearing a mask or covering their face would be asked to show their identity. Those refusing would face arrest.
The Public Order Act powers will be in effect between 7am and 9pm on Sunday.
Politicians and union representatives are among those who have already criticised those taking part in the march.
Brighton and Hove Unison has advocated people opposing the March for England.
Conservative councillor Geoffrey Theobald called for the event to be banned from the seafront, adding: “I don’t think it is appropriate in our city centre and on the seafront. This is our shop window and this event no doubt puts people off coming to our city and spending money.
“It is also a disastrous day for those businesses along the front.”
Labour group leader Warren Morgan said: “March for England is seen by many as being closely associated with far-right racist groups like the English Defence League.
“Their march causes fear among residents and disruption to businesses. I have told organisers to their face that they should take their event elsewhere and are not welcome in our city.”
At a recent Brighton and Hove City Council meeting at Hove Town Hall the march was debated.
Council leader Jason Kitcat said: “We share their (the Conservatives’) concern about the impact this march has on the city.
“It’s tough for businesses and residents. But the suggestion that this can be simply relocated just isn’t true.”
His Green Party colleague Councillor Leo Littman spoke about relatives who had to flee Nazi Germany, saying: “I come from a family who wasn’t alone in thinking that the best way to deal with the fascists was to ignore them.”
He was speaking in response to calls for the counter-protesters to stay away and ignore the march.