• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Loan to keep Brighton’s Open Market from going bust agreed

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 4 Nov, 2015 at 8:10PM
A A
1
Loan to keep Brighton’s Open Market from going bust agreed

A controversial loan to keep the company running Brighton’s Open Market afloat has been agreed in principle this evening.

Open Market
A raft of concerns on how the market has been run to date were aired, including criticism of its management by the Ethical Property Company (EPC) and traders being left in the dark.

Members of Brighton and Hove City Council’s Policy and Resources Committee also expressed concern as to how effective the proposed recovery plan would be.

But with the prospect of the market closing if the Open Market Community Interest Company goes bust, putting dozens of jobs at risk, officers were given the go-ahead to grant the loan.

Councillor Kevin Allen addressed the committee in his role as interim chair of the CIC board, warning them: “A lot of livelihoods are at stake and the regeneration of London Road.

He also said the performance of EPC in managing the market “leaves a lot to be desired”.

He said: “Of the £240,000 paid by traders, £168,000 went on management fees. Ok, people need to paid for that work but where did that figure come from?”

He said that the company AGM last week had been “cathartic” and a good start to improving the market.

“We need to involve traders above all. We need better marketing,” he said. “We need to recruit independent directors with business, accountancy and marketing skills. Bear down on management costs.

“The options are in front of you. You can let it go into insolvency and council take it over.

“If the council has the odd million going spare, maybe, but … I think it’s option a, to grant the loan, and I do plead with councillors to go with that.”

The council’s projects officer Richard Davies told the meeting: “There’s an immediate danger that without the loan the market may have to close due to the insolvency of the CIC.”

But he said the request for the loan is underpinned by a recovery plan which addresses the market’s cash flow difficulties until it moves into profit.

The plan includes amending planning and lease restrictions to allow deliveries on Sundays. The council has also offered hardship relief for non-domestic rates.

There will be more focus on themed markets, which has already started with the introduction of Street Diner on Wednesdays, which ties in with a new citywide market policy which will aim to drive new markets, themed markets, visiting markets into the open market square.

EPC is to review its staffing fees, new independent directors are to be recruited and appropriate consultants hired.

Labour’s Councillor Tom Bewick moved an amendment that officers ensure that business advice is sought and implemented in actioning the recovery plan and that a monitoring report is brought back to councillors by the end of the financial municipal year.

Both Green and Conservative councillors expressed doubts over how effective the recovery plan is, with vague financial details and questions over the high interest rate being paid on an existing major loan.

Councillor Ollie Sykes, a Green, said: “There are these killer assumptions around the changes to planning, lease and business rates. If they don’t come right, this may not work out.

“Do we have any idea of the level of risk associated? I think we should support but we need more assurances.”

And Councillor Andrew Wealls, a Conservative, said: “It seems to me that as a model it’s incredibly dangerous. If I were an investor I wouldn’t invest in this project and certainly not without any financial information whatsoever. I’m going to abstain.”

Conservative Cllr Ann Norman said more needed to be done to attract shoppers. She said: “I’d like to speak as a shopper and someone who used to shop at the old market which was unhygienic but it was popular.

“The new market is certainly clean and hygienic but more shoppers are needed in there. It’s desperate to increase the footfall.

“Is money the only solution? I feel that more needs to be done not necessarily by the traders who are going over and above their remit but I believe that something needs to be done to improve the atmosphere and more.”

But Abraham Ghebre-Ghiorghis said officers would only go ahead and grant the loan if they were confident that plans to improve the market were going to work.

He said: “What you’re deciding today is whether or not to give officers delegated authority – as part of that due diligence and risk assessment and officers would only give it once they’re satisfied the market is viable.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. David drew says:
    11 years ago

    In the eighties I was a market manager for huhgmark a leading market company, I was involved in the running of the markets at Worthing, Totten and Earlscourt and I can tell you they were a very profesional company.. So I would recommend you approach them or equally another of the main market trading companies to run this market for you. I can tell you they know what they are doing.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Loan to keep Brighton’s Open Market from going bust agreed

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
November 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News