• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Shoreham Airshow bosses ‘didn’t fully consider risks’ new report says

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 10 Mar, 2016 at 2:17PM
A A
0
Shoreham air crash investigators publish second report

The organisers of the Shoreham Airshow where a Hunter Hawker jet crashed, killing 11 men, did not fully consider the risks involved, a new report published today says.

Shoreham-airshow-crash-20150822
An interim report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch also reveals that organisers did not know the details of pilot Andy Hill’s routine, and that regulations about flying over residential areas were often infringed.

The crash, which happened on August 22, killed 11 men, most from Brighton and Hove and surrounding areas. They were Maurice Abrahams, Dylan Archer, Tony Brightwell, Matthew Grimstone, Jacob Schilt, Matt Jones, Graham Mallinson, Daniele Polito, Mark Reeves, Richard Smith and Mark Trussler.

Today’s report said: “The risk assessment for the 2015 Shoreham Airshow did not show the range of hazards presented by different display aircraft that formed the display and did not consider specifically where the hazards would occur or who would be exposed to them.

“There was no evidence of an attempt to consider either a hierarchy of protection or control.”

The report, which makes 14 recommendations as a result of the crash, can be read in full here.

It goes on to say that there were no site visits, and those carrying out the risk assessment did not have local knowledge of the display site and its surroundings.

Andy Hill
Andy Hill

Furthermore, the flying display director was not told of pilot Andy Hill’s planned sequence of display manouevres, which meant he could not assess how risky it was to fly over the crowd and the A27, onto which the jet crashed.

During the airshow, regulations about flying over residential areas were infringed on several occasions.

The report says: “The 2015 Shoreham Airshow organisers knew that the junction of the A27 was a popular location from which to view the display.

“The AAIB was informed that in previous years several hundred people had been observed at this road junction and in the grounds of a nearby, now closed, public house.

“The display organisers had been concerned about the road traffic risk to these crowds and the display organisers had taken steps to minimise the number of people in this area.

“The same arrangements had been in place for several years and had restricted the view of the airfield, placed various signs in the area and used stewards to ask people to move on.

“However, neither the organisers nor the police had requested or been granted the legal power to prevent people from being in this area and their efforts did not prevent a gathering at the A27 junction.

“Discouraging spectators from congregating in certain areas outside the airfield has been unsuccessful and therefore cannot be relied upon as an effective risk mitigation measure.”

It also recommended that future airshows define an “aerobatic box” within which displays must be confined, as the UK does not currently define a specific minimum height for aerobatics.

It said: “If an aerobatic flying display area had been defined at Shoreham, the looping and rolling manoeuvre conducted by [the Hawker Hunter] could have been required to remain with it.

“Alternatively, if during the planning stage it was identified that the aerobatic elements of the proposed display by [the Hawker Hunter] could not be completed within that box there would have been an opportunity to refuse or modify its display.

Andy Hill’s display authorisation licence (DA) was renewed while flying a different type of jet to the Hawker Hunter, which led the report to recommend that DAs should be renewed for each class or type of aircraft the holder intends to operate.

The report also cites an incident at Southport, when Andy Hill was stopped by its FDD when flying a different type of jet, a Provost, “following concerns about the execution of the manoeuvre.”

Reports last month said that the plane had been flying very low over the crowd.

It said the occurence was not formally recorded, investigated or reported to the AAIB.

The report said: “It may not have been apparent to those involved that the duty to report could apply to such occurrences at flying displays or they may have concluded that this occurrence was not reportable.

“Nevertheless, the occurrence could have provided an opportunity to explore the pilot’s continued competence.”

The report said that from 2006 to 2015, there were nine display accidents in the UK in which the aircraft was destroyed and either a fatal or serious injury resulted, equating to an estimated one such accident per 219 display hours.

The review of the risk assessment for the 2015 Shoreham Airshow was commissioned by the AAIB and carried out by the Health and Safety Laboratory.

Hawker_Hunter_T7_'WV372_-_R'_(G-BXFI)_(12863569924)

The review also considered the equivalent risk assessments for the 2013 and 2014 Shoreham Airshows but did not compare these with risk assessments for other flying displays.

The AAIB investigation is independent of the Civil Aviation Authority’s Review of UK Civil Air Displays and an investigation being conducted by Sussex Police.

The purpose of any AAIB investigation is to improve aviation safety by determining the causes of an accident and making safety recommendations intended to prevent recurrence, not to apportion blame or liability. The final report will be published in due course.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Shoreham Airshow bosses ‘didn’t fully consider risks’ new report says

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News