• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Planners reassure Hove seafront campaigners

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 Mar, 2016 at 5:07PM
A A
1
Sackville Tower team make changes to Hove seafront scheme after consultation

Campaigners against a tower block being built on the old Sackville Hotel site were given reassurance by planners before a meeting this evening (Thursday 17 March).

Liz Hobden, planning policy manager at Brighton and Hove City Council, told the council’s Policy and Resources (P&R) Committee: “We’re looking at buildings between six and eight storeys high. That is the guidance that is going to be applied.”

She was responding to a question by Conservative councillor Andrew Wealls who was due to attend the Hove Seafront Residents Association meeting at The View, in Kingsway, at 7.30pm.

Councillor Wealls asked for clarity about the extent of the tall buildings zone on Hove seafront.

He spoke as the P&R Committee debated the City Plan as members recommended that the council adopts the plan – a blueprint for the future of the area.

The housing association Hyde withdrew its planning application last Thursday (10 March).

Hyde - Sackville Gardens looking north - cropped

Council leader Warren Morgan and his Labour colleague Councillor Gill Mitchell thanked everyone involved in bringing part one of the City Plan to fruition after many years.

Work in earnest began in 2005 on what was then known as the Core Strategy but a government inspector urged the council to plan for more homes. So in 2011 work started on what is now called the City Plan part one.

Work on part two is under way and will include detailed work on specific sites, including the allocation of housing numbers. There are hopes that it could be concluded in 2018.

Councillor Mitchell praised her political rivals Councillor Carol Theobald and Council Phélim Mac Cafferty for their contribution this far.

Much of the work was led on the political front by Councillor Mac Cafferty when he chaired the council’s Planning Committee – until last May.

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty
Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty

He has previously acknowledged that while the detail in particular is often not headline-generating work, the City Plan is vital for the future of Brighton and Hove.

It is intended to give developers and residents a clear idea about where building can take place and what type of building is permissible.

Much of the wrangling even recently – with government-appointed planning inspectors – has been over the amount of housing needed in Brighton and Hove.

At the P&R Committee meeting this afternoon (Thursday 17 March) at the Brighthelm Centre, opposition Conservative group leader Geoffrey Theobald said that the plan was important to balance the need for new housing with maintaining open space.

Councillor Theobald added that he was concerned about what developers might bring forward for open spaces including the “urban fringe”.

The work on part two will give politicians, property developers and people living locally a much clearer idea.

In the meantime, Hove seafront residents were gathering to plan their next move.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Windsor101 says:
    10 years ago

    “We’re looking at buildings between six and eight storeys high. That is the guidance that is going to be applied.” Liz is on another planet.. BHCC knows this is not viable. Do FOI request for internal meeting minutes.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Planners reassure Hove seafront campaigners

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News