• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

New Brighton park officially handed over after residents’ battle with developer

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 3 Nov, 2016 at 2:49PM
A A
1
New Brighton park officially handed over after residents’ battle with developer

Bellway Homes handing over open space to Brighton and Hove City Council at the back of its Redhill Close housing scheme. Bellway Kent managing director Chris Moore is pictured with Councillor Saoirse Horan, the deputy chair of the council's Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee - Photo by Liz Finlayson/Vervate

A new park was officially handed over to Brighton and Hove City Council last week by a housing developer after months of pressure from residents angry that it had been left half finished.

Bellway Homes handing over open space to Brighton and Hove City Council at the back of its Redhill Close housing scheme. Bellway Kent managing director Chris Moore is pictured with Councillor Saoirse Horan, the deputy chair of the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee – Photo by Liz Finlayson/Vervate

Bellway Homes agreed to provide the play spaces at Redhill Park as part of a planning agreement when it was given permission to build 31 homes on the former Redhill sports ground in 2011.

The play areas were originally meant to be finished in July 2014 and include several pieces of play equipment such as swings, climbing frames, play huts and boulders. But it was only after residents started a campaign last October that work started in earnest on the site.

And even now, the finished park, with just one baby swing and some carved totem poles for children to play on, is a long way from the playground promised in the first plans.

Resident Vicky Cohen, who started last year’s campaign, said: “I’m very disappointed in it. It’s a depressing park because it’s full of promise but it’s not being looked after.

“There aren’t any things for children to play on. There’s a single baby swing in the little bit on the roundabout but really very little else.

“The path isn’t lit at the top of Valley Drive. There aren’t any dog mess bins and people are letting their dogs foul in the children’s play area.

“The grass on the football pitch has been allowed to grow very long so you can’t play on it. It doesn’t appear to be being very well looked after.”

With huge cuts to the parks services looming, Mrs Cohen is realistic about the prospect of making improvements to the park now that it is under council control.

She said: “Unfortunately we are going to have set up a Friends of Redhill Park group. I’m happy to do fundraising but that’s as long as the council can keep what equipment there is maintained and they’re open to fundraise and putting more equipment in there.”

As well as the limited play equipment, the five-acre open space also includes a newly planted meadow and trees. The official handover between Chris Moore, managing director for Bellway Kent, and Councillor Saoirse Horan, deputy chair of the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee, happened last week.

The developer has also provided the council with about £150,000 to cover future maintenance costs for the site.

Councillor Horan said: “With so much pressure being put on councils to create more housing, we must be careful not to lose sight of the importance of providing green space for our communities.

“That’s why we are pleased to have worked with Bellway Homes to create this lovely new park which is already being well used by local families.

“We also welcome the funding provided by Bellway Homes which will help ensure that the park is maintained into the future, despite the ongoing pressure to council budgets.”

The Gatton Park development, of 31 units including family homes, lies between Redhill Close and Millcroft. Bellway Homes agreed, under a deal known as a section 106 agreement, to transfer part of the site to the council for recreational open community space.

Also under the section 106 agreement, the adjacent scout hut and land was transferred to the Westdene Association Guides and Scouts, with Bellway providing just over £27,000 to improve and maintain the facility.

Mr Moore said: “At Bellway we are aware that we are not just building homes, we are creating communities that people will love to live in for many years to come.

“That’s why it’s so important to create these areas of green space that families can enjoy as part of our housing developments. It was fantastic to visit the park for the official handover and to see locals enjoying spending time there.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Gerry Hussein says:
    10 years ago

    “Unfortunately we are going to have set up a Friends of Redhill Park group.”

    Don’t think that is unfortunate at all, sounds like a pretty good, positive, community minded thing to set one up so that neighbours can take responsibility for a public space they cherish. Lots of proven social benefits too for people getting involved in groups such as these… the problems with the park’s abuse (dog fouling etc) will disappear when this happens.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

New Brighton park officially handed over after residents’ battle with developer

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
November 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News