• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

NHS cost-cutting plans revealed as Brighton hospital trust faces losing 400 EU staff over Brexit

by Roz Scott
Saturday 10 Jun, 2017 at 3:42PM
A A
0
Long waits for more than 9,000 patients at Brighton hospital

The Barry Building at the Royal Sussex County Hospital

Plans to close hospital wards and services, extend waiting times and stop some treatments are being considered by senior NHS officials, according to the Health Service Journal (HSJ).

They are exploring the plans as they look at ways to cut spending across the Sussex and Surrey area with a spending “cap” in prospect.

The “capped expenditure process” is being discussed privately between senior officials from NHS England and NHS Improvement and health managers in 14 areas of the country with the highest levels of overspending. Sussex and Surrey make up one of those areas.

HSJ said: “The principle of the process, introduced this year, is to ‘cap’ NHS spending in the targeted areas so that they meet ‘control total’ budgets in 2017-18.

“The programme comes amid the longest ever sustained squeeze on the NHS budget and with lower spending growth in 2017-18 than last year.

“These areas (14 including Surrey and Sussex) report gaps between plans and targets running into hundreds of millions of pounds but NHSE and NHSI have not made public the total national gap.”

Because Surrey and Sussex make up one of the NHS areas accused of overspending, it could face more ward closures, caps on operations, longer waiting times, reductions in medical treatments, a downgrading of services such as maternity and A&E, land sales and limits on prescriptions because of budget cuts.

Brighton and Sussex Universities NHS Trust was placed in special measures when it declared a financial deficit of £60 million last October and ended the 2016-17 financial year with a deficit of almost £70 million.

In late April 42 inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the healthcare watchdog, spent three days at the trust.

Earlier in April Marianne Griffiths took charge of the trust along with a team from the neighbouring Western Sussex Hospitals.

Marianne Griffiths

She was chosen in part after overcoming the challenges involved in merging St Richard’s, in Chichester, with Worthing and Southlands to form the Western trust. She inherited a £21 million deficit but has managed to balance the books.

Western Sussex Hospitals is one of only five acute hospital trusts to be rated outstanding by the CQC and she was named chief executive of the year by the HSJ last year.

Mrs Griffiths said that she had agreed a breathing space with regulators and one monthly monitoring meeting to assess progress.

But added to the Brighton trust’s financial problems, the Liberal Democrats have warned that the NHS locally could lose up to 436 staff from the EU, including 61 doctors and 171 nurses, if Prime Minister Theresa May pushes on with a “hard Brexit”.

The figures are based on a survey for the Channel 4 current affairs programme Dispatches. It found that more than half of all doctors and 42 per cent of nurses from the EU are considering leaving because of Brexit.

The Lib Dems said that the Conservative approach to Brexit would lead to a £4.5 million bill to recruit local doctors and nurses and other support workers in the NHS from the EU after 2019.

Mrs May also plans to double the “immigration skills charge” to £2,000 a year for each doctor, nurse and health worker brought into the NHS or any other company from abroad by 2022.

Full figures on the number of EU nationals by local NHS trust and estimates of those considering leaving the UK because of Brexit can be found in the Channel 4 survey for Dispatches in March this year.

The Lib Dems have called for an immediate guarantee that all EU nationals in the UK, including those working in the NHS and social care, can stay after Brexit.

Emily Tester, the Lib Dem in Brighton Kemptown, said: “Hospitals in our city depend on doctors, nurses and other support staff from the EU. But many are now planning to leave because of the uncertainty caused by Brexit.

“We must guarantee their rights to stay here immediately to prevent a damaging exodus of these skilled and hard-working people. Our NHS, and the care we all rely on, would suffer without them.”

In the Lib Dem manifesto, the party said that it wanted an immediate guarantee of the rights of all EU nationals working in the NHS and social care and a penny on income tax for health and social care.

Labour said that it also believed that Britain should guarantee the rights of NHS staff from other EU countries and raise £30 billion for the health service by increasing income tax for the highest 5 per cent of taxpayers earning £80,000 or more per year.

The Conservatives have committed to a real terms increase of £8 billion in their manifesto in the next Parliament until 2022 which was the minimum expenditure recommended by the King’s Fund at the last 2015 election.

Like the Lib Dems, the Green Party wants to introduce an “NHS tax”, earmarked to increase direct funding of the NHS as part of general income and other taxation.

For more articles by Roz Scott, visit www.rozscott.com.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

NHS cost-cutting plans revealed as Brighton hospital trust faces losing 400 EU staff over Brexit

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News