• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Plans for early morning recycling trucks draw complaints from neighbours

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 16 Feb, 2018 at 2:40PM
A A
0
Plans for early morning recycling trucks draw complaints from neighbours

Neighbours of a recycling plant are fighting its request to allow skip wagons to leave its site as early as 6.45am, saying the noise will wake them up and ‘degrade’ their lives.

Private waste contractor KSD Environmental is currently not allowed to send wagons and waste collection trucks out of its depot in Moulsecoomb Way before 8am.

It says that following the closure of local recycling processing plants, the waste it collects needs to travel further and so needs to be collected and sorted earlier in the day, and has applied to have the 8am planning restriction lifted.

But neighbours say they already put up with high levels of noise and dust, and just weeks after the application was submitted, several have objected.

One, Linda Freston, says the vehicles yard is just 10m away from her bedroom in Railway Cottages, Lewes Road.

She said: “The proposed amendment to hours of operation would result in increased noise and disturbance at an antisocial hour from waste collection vehicle engines and from the loud alarms many vehicles have to signal manoeuvres. ”

Her neighbours Steven and Shirley Smart said: “The loading and movement of the metal skips creates loud noises, bangs, crashes and thumps which are heard and felt in our house. The acoustic wall is damaged making it a less effective sound barrier.

“If extended these operations will be detrimental to our quality of living.”

And William Grist, who lives in Broadfields, said: “I remember life before this noisy and airborne dust degraded our lives from day one and all residents have campaigned to no avail over many years. It’s an absolute disgrace on Brighton Council to even condone its present use.

“This application will add to their working hours and as usual increase noise with disregard to people who live within a few yards. My suggestion is to enforce current agreement not to pander to a uncaring operator.

“The noise and dust goes way beyond, and shutters should be kept closed – the past two years they have been kept open and emitting airborne dust by the cloud and immense noise from a mechanical digger.”

Their concerns are echoed by ward councillor Anne Meadows, who said: “This planning application should not be allowed as the hours of use should not impinge on residents health .

“With a sheltered housing scheme just across the road and residents right next door to the site, these increased hours of lorries using the site will be detrimental to the residents who live next door.

“There have been many complaints about the large lorries that use this site with the increasing dust pollution which has impacted on residents health. This application should be refused.”

As part of the planning application, KSD has submitted a noise impact assessment which states that the noise of the skip wagons leaving and the shutter door closing are not significantly louder than traffic noise between 6.45am and 8am.

The application says: “Being one of the few waste recycling operations within the city, the operator wishes to be able to release a limited number of waste collection vehicles from the site, where they are parked overnight, for two 15 minute periods between 6.45am and 8am, so as to reduce congestion and limit the movement of HGVs under its control during, and leading up to, the ‘rush hour’ and the local school run.

“This will also enable the customer base within the city to be serviced at hours that encounter less congestion.

“The need for this has arisen as over time local outlets for residues from processing have closed and so residues now have to travel further afield. This means that waste collected from customers in the city must return to the depot earlier for the waste to be processed, allowing the resulting residues to be removed in time to arrive at the receiving sites on a daily basis.

“Timely and frequent removal of residues is essential to the smooth operation of the recycling process, ensuring that landfill diversion and recycling rates can be maintained.”

The site has been used for waste transfer since 2003, and before that it was a bus depot.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Plans for early morning recycling trucks draw complaints from neighbours

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
February 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News