• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove offers amnesty to council house frauds

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 17 Apr, 2018 at 3:24AM
A A
0
Student housing issues raised at Brighton meeting

Tenants illegally subletting council flats or houses in Brighton and Hove have until the end of May to hand in their keys or risk being jailed.

The same goes for anyone with a council tenancy who lives elsewhere, as Brighton and Hove City Council offers a temporary amnesty.

The two-month amnesty runs until Thursday 31 May and is the second to be offered locally.

Just over a year ago, six homes were handed back during the first tenancy fraud amnesty in Brighton and Hove.

And the latest one started just after auditors gave councillors an update on housing tenancy fraud and “right to buy” fraud.

They said that 18 council homes were made available for tenants who genuinely needed them in the 2017-18 financial year, six of them since early January. Last year the figure was similar, with 20 properties recovered.

In the past the council has prosecuted tenancy frauds in the criminal courts.

The council’s Audit and Standards Committee was also told in a report: “A total of 36 ‘right to buy’ applications have not been pursued after preventive review by the team.”

The council said: “People committing tenancy fraud in council housing and temporary accommodation have another chance to avoid legal action by handing their property back during a second amnesty being run by Brighton and Hove City Council.

“The tenancy fraud amnesty begins on (Tuesday) 3 April and tenants illegally subletting their homes or keeping a social housing tenancy while living elsewhere have until (Thursday) 31 May to return their properties to the council without fear of further action.

“Tenants will need to leave the property unoccupied and empty of all belongings and sign a surrender notice.

“Keys can be handed in at

  • Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE
  • Portslade Town Hall, Victoria Road, Portslade, BN41 1YF
  • Whitehawk Community Hub, 179a Whitehawk Road, Brighton, BN2 5FL
  • Lavender Street Housing Office, Lavender Street, Brighton BN2 1JU

“National figures suggest that tenancy fraud costs the public purse £18,000 a year for each property.

“With the high costs of housing people in temporary accommodation in the city, the savings for Brighton and Hove are likely to be significantly more.

Councillor Anne Meadows

“Six families were rehomed following the first tenancy fraud amnesty run between December 2016 and January 2017.

“The six homes returned through the amnesty were two three-bedroom, two two-bedroom and two one-bedroom properties.”

Councillor Anne Meadows, who chairs the Housing and New Homes Committee, said: “We have a huge demand for housing in the city.

“Tenancy fraud deprives residents in genuine need at a huge cost to the city and we are focused on tackling the problem.

“The amnesties offer us the chance to get properties back quickly and cheaply.

“Tenants looking for more information on the amnesty can call Housing Customer Services on 01273 293030 or email housing.customerservices@brighton-hove.gov.uk.

“If anyone suspects someone isn’t living in their council house or is subletting it, they can report it in confidence by calling the council on 01273 291847 or emailing anti-fraud@brighton-hove.gov.uk.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton and Hove offers amnesty to council house frauds

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
April 2018
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News