• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Campaigners oppose plans for three homes on open space

by Frank le Duc
Monday 4 Feb, 2019 at 4:44PM
A A
0
Campaigners oppose plans for three homes on open space

Campaigners are fighting plans to build three houses in a green corridor in Ovingdean.

Brighton and Hove City Council has received 67 letters objecting to the plans for two four-bedroom houses and a three-bedroom house in Long Hill between Wanderdown Road and The Vale.

An outline planning application for nine detached houses on the site was refused on appeal last year.

A new application is due to go before the council’s Planning Committee on Wednesday (6 February) and is recommended for approval.

There are active badger setts on the site which is a Site of Nature Conservation Interest, with Sussex Wildlife Trust objecting to the plans.

Conservation officer Jess Price said: “We are very concerned that Brighton and Hove City Council is allowing the countryside to be slowly degraded and nibbled away at.

“Local wildlife sites are an integral component of the city’s ecological network and we have no confidence that (the council) understands the true impact the continued loss of local wildlife sites is having on this network and the functions that network provides for the city.”

One opponent of the scheme said: “I strongly object to any development here – as it says – badgers come here, it is a spot for birds, insects and all wildlife.

“It is one of the few open spaces left in an overdeveloped area. Traffic access is poor and very limited. Noise will be a factor.

“Why do we need more ‘luxury’ houses? We do need affordable accommodation but not in Ovingdean.

“The village is not able to support any more developments of four or three-bedroom houses.”

Concerns have also been raised about new access to the site from Ovingdean Road.

Another resident said: “My car is not a sports car and pulls out of the junction at a reasonable speed.

“However, I catch my breath most mornings pulling out as more often than not I have a car right up behind me within seconds due to their speed.”

Conservative councillor Mary Mears, who represents Rottingdean Coastal ward, said: “This part of Ovingdean Road is on a steep bend and in my view, even with the reduced number of properties, the concerns raised by the inspector and local residents have not been addressed in the planning application.

“There are also concerns with regards to the adverse effect on the landscape character also commented on by the inspector.

“In my opinion the new houses and infrastructure could increase water run-off and potential for flooding to properties in The Vale.”

The Planning Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall on Wednesday 6 February. The meeting, which starts at 2pm, is open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Campaigners oppose plans for three homes on open space

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News