• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council ordered to pay woman £350 over homeless application failings

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 5 Jun, 2019 at 2:45PM
A A
0
Book of condolence for victims of Paris attacks opens at Brighton Town Hall

Brighton Town Hall from Wikimedia Commons

Brighton Town Hall from Wikimedia Commons

A woman whose application for homeless accommodation was not properly dealt with has been paid £350 by the city council after she complained to the ombudsman.

The woman, referred to as Ms X in the local government ombudsman’s report, was placed with her nephew in a one bedroom unit in Eastbourne despite council officers being told by social services and her GP she was suicidal and had other health issues.

The ombudsman found the council had failed to consider these reports when placing her there.

However, a series of other complaints made at the same time were dismissed, often because Ms X had failed to engage with officers despite many attempts.

The report said: “In response to our enquiries the council says Ms X provided no medical evidence of her physical health problems.

“I note that Ms X did not respond positively to requests for information from the council while it was considering her homelessness application.

“However, there is evidence that some medical evidence was provided supporting points Ms X made about her health.

“Ms X was concerned about the distance between her interim accommodation and her GP’s surgery.

“In September, the GP told the council Ms X was distressed and using the surgery regularly as a result. In January and February 2016 social services teams repeatedly raised concerns about Ms X’s mental health.

“Ms X’s GP had provided evidence that Ms X had a history of anxiety and depression, which had recently worsened due to concerns about her housing situation.

“The council failed to respond to these reports. I am not satisfied the council properly considered the distance from her GP given the information it had and Ms X’s documented mental health issues.”

Ms X also complained she had been evicted from the Eastbourne unit after complaining about faulty heating.

However, the accommodation provider said she had been asked to leave after being aggressive to staff – which the council said it found plausible as she had also been rude to its officers.

Ms X said she had recorded staff there telling her they had no issues with her – but failed to provide these recordings. The council noted that making these recordings in the first place was “somewhat challenging”, the report says.

She also said the council had failed to take account of her nephew’s disabilities when it later decided they were not in priority need of housing, but the council said that despite several requests, she had provided no medical evidence of this.

After this decision was made, she started to appeal the decision with the help of Shelter, and she and her nephew were placed in accommodation in Brighton, closer to her GP in Hove.

Ms X complained that she had then been forced to cash in her pension in order to move into private accommodation and requested compensation.

However, the ombudsman noted she had left the Brighton accommodation of her own accord and had abandoned the appeal, so there were no grounds for compensation.

The ombudsman directed that the £350 should be paid to “reflect the uncertainty that the outcome may have been different when the council failed to properly consider the suitability of Ms X’s interim accommodation and the time and trouble Ms X was put to in bringing the complaint”.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Council ordered to pay woman £350 over homeless application failings

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News