• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Transport contracts for vulnerable children spark furious row

by Frank le Duc
Friday 12 Jul, 2019 at 4:21PM
A A
0
Labour seeks to allay concerns as it prepares to scrap ‘neighbourhoods’ committee

Hove Town Hall

The way contracts are being awarded to transport vulnerable children from home to school sparked a furious row in the council chamber last night (Thursday 11 July).

The Conservatives have asked for an audit of the process, having previously set out concerns that children with special educational needs and disabilities might be placed at risk.

Councillors Lee Wares and Mary Mears said that proper procedures had not been followed and safety-related policies had been ignored by Brighton and Hove City Council officials.

And “break clauses” were being included so that the four-year contracts could be brought “in house” after a year, they told the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee.

They questioned the cost of bringing in private sector consultants to save money on the home to school transport contracts which have been over budget for some years.

The cost of the consultant’s fees was no disclosed.

The council’s executive director for families, children and learning, Pinaki Ghoshal, said that safeguarding children was a priority.

He also said that while savings would be modest next year, they could reach £620,000 in the third year of the contracts.

Councillor Nick Childs, who chairs the council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee, said that he had scrutinised the proposals in great detail, adding: “I haven’t seen any danger to children.

“There are a number of local monopolies which are seeking to protect their profits.”

He said that the new contracts process would introduce greater competition and added: “It’s surprising that the party of free trade opposes this.”

He accused the Conservative government of inflicting cuts on children with special educational needs and criticised the existing “lavish public contracts for local petty bourgeois monopolies”.

After the meeting at Hove Town Hall one councillor said that the so-called “lavish” contracts had been awarded under the previous Labour administration.

Councillor Wares told the meeting: “I can’t actually believe what Councillor Childs has said this evening.

“These are local businesses that have served this city for decades. It’s scandalous to accuse local businesses and employers of such behaviour – and while this is out to tender.”

He also complained that too much time had been spent telling him that he couldn’t ask a series of questions than allowing an important matter to be properly discussed.

In the letter that he and Councillor Mears sent to chief executive Geoff Raw, asking for an audit, they said that they still had not been shown a proper business case for the current process despite several requests.

They added: “There are now previously avoidable risks to the proper delivery of the service that will negatively impact children with special educational needs and disabilities and vulnerable adults.”

Councillor Mears said: “I’m so concerned with this proposal that I’m raising it as a corporate risk.”

She also touched on councillors’ responsibility as corporate parents to children in the care of the council.

Mr Ghoshal said that a lot of work had gone into redrawing routes and working out which children could travel in larger vehicles rather than by themselves as officials wrestled with costs.

The existing home to school transport budget was overspent by more than £500,000 in total over the past two years. It caters for about 370 children.

The new routes are subject to bids through a series of online “auctions” or “e-tendering” exercises, restricted to pre-approved businesses.

The first round of “auctions” had to be postponed because some of the potential bidders were unable to log on to the system.

But the second round went ahead as planned yesterday afternoon, Richard Barker, the council’s head of school organisation, said.

Mr Ghoshal said that there had been some discussion about bringing contracts in house but he added: “There is no plan to do that.

“I personally cannot see a scenario when we would bring the drivers in house. There are only two journeys a day.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Transport contracts for vulnerable children spark furious row

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News