• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Pankhurst fire latest: Residents barred from nearby flats after safety checks raise concerns

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 4 Oct, 2019 at 12:17PM
A A
5
Residents who lost their home in shock but overwhelmed by community response

The aftermath of a blaze at a block of flats in Pankhurst Avenue, Brighton, which spread along timber balconies and cladding. By @OBDroning on Twitter

Pankhurst aftermath by @OBDroning on Twitter

Neighbours of a block of fire-ravaged Brighton flats will not be able to return to their homes for weeks while their landlord puts in extra safety measures at the request of the fire service.

People living in ten homes in the block next to the one which caught alight on Friday, September 20 were also evacuated that night.

While the main block of 12 flats is likely to be demolished, people living in the two neighbouring blocks have also been told they cannot return until extra fire safety measures have been put in place.

And Brighton and Hove News understands Guinness Partnership, which owns the site, is now checking all its properties across England to make sure they are safe.

A spokeswoman for Guinness Partnership said: “We are committed to doing all we can to help our residents during this extremely difficult time and for as long as they need it.

“We have secured temporary accommodation for all our residents who want it and ensured they have any day to day necessities.

“We are carrying out works to the neighbouring building, as agreed with the fire service. We are committed to getting residents back into their homes as soon as possible.

“The works are to put in place extra fire safety measures. We have engaged a contractor to undertake the works and expect them to be completed this month.

“We are waiting advice from our Structural Engineers and Loss Adjusters regarding the long term future of the damaged block where the fire started.

“We do not yet know whether the block will need to be demolished.”

At the time of publication The Guinness Partnership had not responded to requests for more information about what fire safety measures were being put in place.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said it would not elaborate on what the measures are, although it did confirm that no formal action had been taken.

A spokeswoman said: “It is not our policy to confirm if informal action has taken place as it could potentially be part of later legal action.

“We are still investigating the fire and will update when we can.”

It is expected the investigation into the fire’s cause and spread will take a significant amount of time.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. None of your business says:
    7 years ago

    The CEO is incompetent with no interest in anything but money and needs to resign over this, it’s clear the buildings weren’t built to standard but were signed off. Disgraceful abuse of cost cutting, cutting corners and now look, it was pure luck no one died – questions should be raised on the rest of their properties – I wouldn’t feel safe living in one!
    Get rid!

    Reply
  2. Daniel Harris says:
    7 years ago

    Who is footing the bill? hope Guinness Partnership

    Reply
  3. Rolivan says:
    7 years ago

    Firewalls?

    Reply
  4. Gunner says:
    7 years ago

    We at the curve on Carlton Hill had our fire alarm deactivated by the G, partnership. Been like that for 2 years now. Apparently on advice from London fire brigade. The G, partnership needs bringing to book. It’s all about saving money. Sussex fire and rescue, or reporters, come and look for yourselves. Post code is bn20gx

    Reply
  5. Gunner says:
    7 years ago

    We at the curve on Carlton Hill had our fire alarm deactivated by the G partnership 2 years ago on advice from London fire brigade apparently. It’s all about saving money, we’ve complained about it but they don’t care. East Sussex fire and it reporters. Come look for yourselves. Bn20gx

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Pankhurst fire latest: Residents barred from nearby flats after safety checks raise concerns

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News