• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

‘Perfect storm’ of rubbish problems sees waste pile up across city

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 4 Oct, 2019 at 9:48AM
A A
4
‘Perfect storm’ of rubbish problems sees waste pile up across city


A “perfect storm” of fire damage, broken down trucks and staff shortages has seen rubbish pile up once more across the city.

Rumours of an unofficial strike have been rife – but despite ongoing tensions between council management the GMB union strongly denied they were behind the latest break down in refuse collection.

Instead, both they and the council say a series of unfortunate events is to blame – and last night the council’s assistant director of city environment Rachel Chasseaud apologised and said the service was working to have things back to normal by next week.

As well as a slew of missed collections, City Clean last week removed four residential communal waste bins, leaving residents at the western end of Hove seafront nowhere to put their rubbish.

Westbourne councillor Chris Henry, who has been responding to queries in his ward and across Hove on behalf of Peter Kyle MP, said: “There seems to be a perfect storm causing the current problem: staff absence, broken down trucks and the fire at the depot.

“This is affecting certain areas very hard – for example, the fire has severely impacted the Poet’s Corner collection.

“The broken trucks are the five that can only pick up black communal bins so this is affecting the Brunswick Ward and Central.

“City Clean have been great at responding to calls from us to clear an area, but it obviously can’t continue to operate in this way. Hopefully the staff and mechanical issues are being resolved as a priority.”

Bins being taken away from Hove seafront last Friday

David Vincent, who lives in Sussex Road where the bins were taken away last Friday, said one was returned the following day, and the other three last night.

They were taken along with other big refuse bins which are being replaced with new, smaller, recycling and general waste bins.

He said: “We have got lots of residents here who couldn’t walk along to the one bin. One resident collected all their rubbish and took it by car to the waste tip but we shouldn’t have to do that.

“The bin is full and overflowing and it just needs the wind to get up and seagulls to attack and it’s a right mess.

“Why should people have to take their household rubbish to the tip when they’re paying hundreds in council tax?”

Ms Chasseaud last night said: “I’m very sorry that missed collections are having a detrimental effect on the city and are causing a great inconvenience to many people.

“I realise there is a large backlog, and our aim is to have this collected and up to date by the beginning of next week.

“Ward councillors have also been regularly raising concerns with the Cityclean service.

“There have been a number of problems recently including vehicle breakdowns and a shortage of drivers which we are doing our best to address as a matter of urgency.

“This has involved carrying out double shifts, overtime and using agency staff.

“The Hollingdean Waste Transfer Station is now fully open again after the recent fire there, so our lorries are able to tip as normal rather than having to drive to Newhaven – a three hour round trip which badly affected the time we had for other collections.

“I appreciate some residents will have longer term problems with missed collections, and while we have addressed some issues, for others we have more work to do to put things right.

“Please be reassured of my determination to deliver a refuse and recycling service the city, and its residents, businesses and tourists, deserve.”

GMB Sussex branch secretary Mark Turner said: “It’s nothing to do with the union or any action that the workforce are involved in.

“Industrial action is currently suspended. We are still in talks with the council and we are now waiting to see how it’s going to go forward through the process.

“There are still outstanding issues in regards to Acas. We met with them and the council management on 1 August and we are still waiting for the chief executive to put in place what we agreed then.”

Although suspended, the window in which City Clean GMB members can take industrial action has now been extended to March.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Jason says:
    6 years ago

    Every year the council tax increases, and every year the people get less for their money.

    The council is supposed to look after the town, but instead they waste taxpayers’ money on idiotic schemes like Valley Gardens and the loss-making “doughnut on a stick” (the i360), while Madeira Drive is allowed to collapse and council services generally are neglected.

    Roads and pavements are no longer maintained or even cleaned. I personally know a turning area that is overgrown with brambles and other vegetation to the extent that it is no longer possible to see where the road ends, and a pavement that is barely passable because of overhanging bushes. Potholes are repaired badly, if at all, and pavements are left to revert to nature while rubbish continues to pile up in the streets.

    Every year the residents are expected to pay more for less, so where is all that money going? Brown envelopes? It certainly isn’t being spent on essential services.

    Reply
    • Juan Kerr says:
      6 years ago

      Well said – where’s all the money going?

      Reply
  2. fed-up with Brighton politics says:
    6 years ago

    Are these broken-down trucks anything to do with the report in March that safety checks had not been recorded, to the extent there was a possibility that CityClean’s operating licence could be withdrawn? And does any of this have anything to do with an item on the agenda for next week’s Policy and Resources Committee, which concerns that operating licence, but the agenda documentation is marked as ‘restricted’ (i.e. it’s not there for the public to see). There has already been a huge amount of secrecy about the Dave Russell business, what went on after council officials left talks with an agreed plan, according to the GMB, only for other officials to unstitch the plan. We don’t know what action Geoff Raw & Co are supposed to have taken as a result of the meetings at ACAS, but the GMB says they haven’t done it, whatever it was. And meanwhile, the threat of strike action is still live.

    If it weren’t all having such a detrimental effect on the City and its residents and visitors, it would almost be a comedy show. How difficult can it be to organise an efficient refuse service? People never had all this farcical stuff going on years ago when a big truck came round and a man hoisted the bin on his shoulder and emptied it in the truck.

    It’s well past time that someone at the council, whether that’s an elected councillor or a council official, informed the public exactly what is going on. Agenda pages marked ‘document is restricted’ in the PUBLIC REPORTS PACK are not terribly encouraging or helpful.

    Reply
  3. Peter King says:
    6 years ago

    Just move out of Brighton and Hove.

    Plenty of delightful and well kept villages in very close proximity with easy access to the city And it’s best activities. Without the vagaries, vagrants and dilapidations.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

‘Perfect storm’ of rubbish problems sees waste pile up across city

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Met Office warns of torrential rain tomorrow

Man jailed over Hove cannabis farm

Car showroom to become supermarket

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News