• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Moulsecoomb parents overwhelmingly oppose academy plans in ballot

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 7 Oct, 2019 at 11:48AM
A A
0
Moulsecoomb parents overwhelmingly oppose academy plans in ballot

The Moulsecoomb parents ballot votes being counted this morning. Picture by Green councillor Sarah Nield

The Moulsecoomb parents ballot votes being counted this morning. Picture by Green councillor Sarah Nield

Parents voting in a ballot over whether Moulsecoomb Primary School should be turned into an academy have overwhelmingly opposed the plans.

The government issued an academy order and is now seeking sponsors after the school was rated as inadequate by Ofsted in May.

Since then, thousands have signed a petition against the plans, a march stopped traffic, councillors and MPs from all three parties are openly opposed and two potential sponsors have pulled out.

Now, this non-binding ballot, which 61% of parents voted in, has echoed that determination, with 96% saying they are against the plans – 137 voting no to just five voting yes.

However, regional schools commissioner Dominic Herrington has so far not backed down, and so the parents-led Hands off Moulsecoomb campaigners are vowing they will keep up the pressure.

Parent, campaigner and former pupil Natasha Ide, whose youngest son is still at the school and whose two older sons also went there, said: “I’m absolutely buzzing about the result and I’m glad that the hard work has paid off.

“There’s only a few parents who have the time to campaign, and we’ve been making sure word got out to everybody.

“It’s a really good turnout. I know it doesn’t affect the final decision, but it shows that there’s a lot of parents that are so against this becoming an academy and we are willing to keep fighting.”

Every family at the school was offered the chance to vote, with ballot papers available from the school office. The ballot simply asked: “Do you want the school to become an academy?”

Councillor Kate Knight, vice chair of the council’s children, young people and skills committee and Moulsecoomb ward councillor, said: “This ballot result is a huge thumbs-up for the improvement programme at the school that our education team and other local schools are helping with.

“We’ve said time and again that the school is making good progress under its current leadership.

“Ofsted’s own report makes it clear that the school is not inadequate at the other three primary stages – early years, reception and Key Stage 1.

“Surely now the government must recognise that there is no longer any basis for labelling the school as ‘inadequate’.

“It’s clear that converting the school to an academy is unnecessary and would be highly disruptive to pupils at the school.

“Worse, I believe parents and carers will see the academy plan as a cynical ploy to take the credit for the improvements at the school away from its hard-working staff.

“We trust in our teachers and support staff to focus their workload on what happens in the classroom, as is happening at Moulsecoomb.

“This administration will oppose any attempt to force local schools to become academies.

“We will do everything in our power to ensure that our schools remain locally and democratically accountable.

“I hope the government will now listen to parents and carers, respect the result of this ballot and call off its very damaging academy plan.”

Fellow ward councillor Daniel Yates said: “This is a message in the strongest possible terms from the parents and community to the bureaucrats who want to turn our school into an academy.

“There is clearly now no justification for the regional schools commissioner to ignore the community and continue down this path towards privatisation. This vote has a stronger mandate than the Secretary of State himself does and must be respected.”

Councillor Sarah Nield, the Green Group lead on schools said: “The result of the vote sends a strong message to the regional schools commissioner that local parents do not want academisation, and firmly demand that the primary remain part of the city’s family of schools.

“Moulsecoomb Primary is a fantastic community school offering so much to its pupils and local area. What’s more, improvements in the school’s SATS results this year demonstrate that the Commissioner’s grounds for academisation are unfounded.

“Greens have always fought against academisation and the profit-led privatisation of our local schools. We urge the regional schools commissioner to listen to the overwhelming majority of parents at Moulsecoomb Primary – and revoke the academy order now.”

Brighton and Hove City Council is now asking Ofsted to reinspect the school following a significant improvement in Sats results, and the Hands Off campaign is planning to send a letter with more than 100 signatures to the school inspectorate echoing this request.

They are also planning to visit London on Wednesday to hand in more than 1,000 pledge cards opposed to the plan to the Department of Education.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Moulsecoomb parents overwhelmingly oppose academy plans in ballot

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News