• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Housing

Meals on Wheels base to become £5.3m block of flats

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 Jun, 2021 at 8:53PM
A A
2
Meals on Wheels base to become £5.3m block of flats

A visualisation of flats planned for the site of Windlesham House in Portslade

The old Meals on Wheels base in Portslade looks like becoming a £5.3 million blocks of flats, if councillors give their backing.

Windlesham House in Portslade

The plans include knocking down Windlesham House, the single-storey building on the corner of Windlesham Close and Locks Crescent, near Southern Cross.

In its place, Brighton and Hove City Council housing chiefs want to build a four-storey block of 17 flats, with parking for 11 cars and 18 bikes.

The flats would be built as part of the council’s New Homes for Neighbourhoods scheme – an estate regeneration programme aimed at tackling Brighton and Hove’s shortage of affordable housing.

The current building has not been used for three years and is falling into disrepair – and earlier this year the Royal Voluntary Service gave up its 21-year lease.

A report to the council’s Housing Committee said that the £5.3 million cost would be funded from a mix of grants, borrowing and “right to buy” receipts.

About £220,000 would come from a government grant, through a programme known as One Public Estate, to enable the land to be “released” for housing. This would help pay for demolition, site clearance and boundary work.

Council housing chiefs hope that they will be able to secure planning permission by the end of this year and start building work by this time next year.

They want the project to be completed by November 2023, ready for tenants to move into the eight one-bedroom flats and the nine two-bed flats. Two of the one-bed flats are expected to be fully wheelchair-accessible.

Councillors are being asked to approve the scheme at the Housing Committee meeting that is due to start at 4pm next Wednesday (23 June). The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council website.

A visualisation of flats planned for the site of Windlesham House in Portslade

If the committee backs the scheme, the council’s Policy and Resources Committee will be asked to sign it off next month.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Katie says:
    5 years ago

    A lit of residents in the area are totally against these totally ridiculous plans.
    They don’t care about anyone that lives in the area including people that have lived there for more than 20 years and people who own their flats.

    The plans include residents losing light, losing space, losing a car park , loss of views even though that doesn’t matter apparently. Also there is wildlife in the area.

    They are trying to turn portslade into another brighton and keep building and building. The people of portslade want to live in a nice place not a place full of blocks of flats that will ruin the street.

    Reply
  2. Peter J says:
    5 years ago

    People bang on about affordable housing and then get it in a low income area and then complain. Unreal. Poor people just can’t be pleased what do they except a cheap mansion on the seafront

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Peter J Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

School building to become temporary charity hub

Meals on Wheels base to become £5.3m block of flats

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
June 2021
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News