• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Decision due on plans for land where protected trees were felled

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Friday 27 Jan, 2023 at 8:49PM
A A
1
Dozens of trees unlawfully felled or irreversibly damaged at Brighton site

Trees were felled or damaged in Ovingdean on a site next to Hillside

A row over plans to build a house on land where protected trees were damaged and felled could be settled by councillors next week.

The land owner Bulent Ekinci said that more trees would be planted than lost on the plot, next to a property known as Hillside, in Ovingdean Road, Brighton.

Mr Ekinci, who runs the Meeting Place café on Hove seafront, has submitted detailed proposals for a new five-bedroom house on the empty plot along with revised landscaping plans.

His initial proposal went before Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee in October but the discussion was overshadowed by concerns about the trees there.

The committee deferred a decision on his planning application so that they could be given more details.

Since then, councillors have visited the site with Mr Ekinci’s agent Umut Kilic and the council’s tree officer Paul Davey.

Mr Ekinci, 48, submitted the detailed plans in the name of his company Black Homes. He wants to build a two-storey detached house on the plot which is by a bend in the road.

The council granted outline planning permission for a house in 2019 – and last month Mr Ekinci submitted landscaping plans for the trees and plants on the site.

If the Planning Committee accepts the advice of officials and approves the application next Wednesday (1 February), Mr Ekinci would be required to follow a planting scheme once the building was occupied.

Any damaged or diseased plants or trees would have to be replaced with others of a “similar size and species” within the first five years after the building was complete.

In October, councillors were told that protected trees on the site had been damaged during clearance work carried out on Monday 11 July.

Council planning manager Nicola Hurley told the Planning Committee that seven protected trees were “unlawfully felled” and a further 23 “irreversibly damaged” by chainsaws.

She later said that four trees had been felled and 21 damaged, all or mostly sycamores, after comments made by the council’s arboriculturist – or tree expert.

Independent councillor Bridget Fishleigh, who represents Rottingdean Coastal ward, which includes Ovingdedan, backed residents who objected to the plans.

Councillor Fishleigh told the Planning Committee that the council’s arboricultural and legal teams had a last-minute meeting with planning officials to discuss the protected trees.

After the site visit and the new landscaping plan, council arboriculturist Paul Davey said that the proposals were an “acceptable mitigation” for the loss of current trees.

Councillor Bridget Fishleigh

Mr Ekinci’s agent said: “Trees proposed to be planted on site will be more than the ones to be lost. Also, all preserved and newly planted trees will be protected with a TPO (tree preservation order).

“(The) type of trees and plants proposed have been chosen taking (the) council’s tree officer’s and planner’s comments into account.

“The applicant worked in collaboration with the council and has produced a positive proposal for the environment.”

The Planning Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall at 2pm on Wednesday 1 February. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Jon says:
    3 years ago

    Is Mr Ekinci”s agent saying that the trees planted to replace the protected trees that had been chopped down would be protected so they won’t be chopped down ?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Decision due on plans for land where protected trees were felled

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

1,500 homes without water

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
January 2023
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Thatched roof catches fire 14 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News