• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

No ban for fan who threw flare on to Amex pitch – just an £80 fine

Manchester City supporter let off by Brighton bench as defence sways result

by Felice Southwell
Thursday 26 Oct, 2023 at 9:26AM
A A
1
No ban for fan who threw flare on to Amex pitch – just an £80 fine

Picture by Nick Potts / PA

A football fan who threw a lit flare on to the Amex pitch in May after a Brighton and Hove Albion match was fined just £80.

The smoking blue flare was thrown on to the pitch after Brighton’s final home match last season against the Premier League champions Manchester City.

City fan Hugo Bransby, 21, pleaded guilty at Brighton Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Wednesday 25 October) to throwing the missile – but he was not given the three-year football banning order sought by the prosecution.

The magistrates called it a “momentary lapse” in his usual behaviour and accepted that he did not bring the flare into the Falmer stadium or light it – and that no players on the field were injured.

Bransbury, of Arthog Drive, Manchester, threw the flare from the Amex Stadium south stand, where away supporters had been seated, after it was lit and given to him by a friend.

Brighton and Hove Albion said: “As a club we welcome the verdict but the individual is lucky only to be facing a fine for his ‘momentary lapse’ of judgment.

“Not only should he be facing a banning order but, had things taken a turn for the worse, he might have been living with a much tougher ‘sentence’ as a result of the consequences of his actions.

“The use of flares and pyros in this way is incredibly irresponsible and endangers fellow supporters and club staff.

“We have a zero-tolerance approach to anyone bringing flares, pyros or similar into a football stadium.

“We support the CPS in their approach and we would urge the authorities to take the strongest possible action against those caught in possession.”

Bransby, a Bristol University student, was detained by police as he left the ground on Wednesday 24 May and immediately admitted his actions.

At the sentencing hearing yesterday he said: “I have really tried to learn from this and better myself. I completely acknowledge that this was a reckless moment and I’m entirely, completely remorseful for this.

“This has been a very harrowing experience in many cases and put a lot of pressure on me and my family as well.”

When one of the magistrates asked why he threw the flare and whether he had been drinking alcohol, Bransby said that he had not been drinking.

He said: “I’d actually driven to that game so I had not been drinking at all. I wish I had an answer.

“It was such a reckless decision, such a complete lack of judgment, and I have no excuse. I honestly have no excuse.”

Julia French, prosecuting, said that Bransby should be given a football banning order for three years, barring him from all grounds on match days and from certain Manchester pubs.

She said: “This offence which, while on the face of it, may appear to be an isolated incident committed by a person of a good character could trigger widespread disorder.

“Football is of course in the public domain and positive action should be seen to try to eradicate problems within football matches.

Blue smoke from a flare starts to clear – Picture by Nick Potts

“Flare possession and throwing flares onto the pitch is becoming an increasing problem for Sussex Police.

“They take a stern line in respect of it and you’ve also heard that football clubs themselves or Brighton and Hove Albion certainly take a very stern line when it comes to flare possession.

“This was an offence that was committed while being broadcasted live on Sky Sports and so potentially being viewed by people around the world.”

Chloe Carvell, defending, said that the football banning order would be “excessive” for someone with no other recorded football-related issues or offences.

She said: “A football banning order is a preventative measure and shouldn’t be imposed just to punish somebody. It’s there to prevent. It’s a civil order.

“If this defendant has, which he has done, attended a number of matches since this incident without any problem at all, what would be the benefit in now saying he’s banned from attending matches when effectively, in my submission, I say he’s learnt his lesson.

“Mr Bransby didn’t provoke any violence. He accepts he made a stupid decision by throwing a flare when somebody passed it to him but fortunately nobody was hurt.”

Brighton Magistrates’ Court

At the hearing yesterday, PC Carl Smith told the court that 31,000 people had attended the game.

He also spoke about football banning orders generally, saying: “They’re designed to prevent any act of violence or disorder in football grounds or before or after fixtures.

“They’re a deterrent for avid football fans because they like following their team around the country. We see a lot of people who would rather take a conviction than a football banning order.”

Miss French said that Bransby’s conviction for a football-related offence meant that the bench were obliged to impose a football banning order if sought – unless it was unjust.

The magistrates – Alison Musker, Alison Thomas and Denise Lawson – decided that imposing the football banning order on top of a fine would be unjust in this particular case.

The presiding magistrate Alison Musker told Bransby the he would have to pay a court bill of £197, including the £80 fine, the prosecution’s court costs and a victim surcharge, within 28 days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Benjamin says:
    3 years ago

    Silly boy really doing this. I agree with the sentiment that he was lucky not to have been given a banning order.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

No ban for fan who threw flare on to Amex pitch – just an £80 fine

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2023
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News