• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Doors open on Corn Exchange’s £38m revamp

by Anahita Hossein-Pour - PA
Thursday 7 Dec, 2023 at 2:13PM
A A
6
Doors open on Corn Exchange’s £38m revamp

A member of the front of house team put the finishing touches to the Brighton Dome's newly refurbished Corn Exchange and Studio Theatre buildings after six-year-project. Picture: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

A building which helps “define what Brighton is about” has reopened its doors as part of a multi-million regeneration project to make it a UK cultural landmark.

Brighton Dome’s Grade I and Grade II-listed Corn Exchange and Studio Theatre underwent a six-year revamp costing £38 million, in a bid to draw in international and local artists and visitors to the historic site.

The Corn Exchange and main concert hall was originally built as a stable block and riding house in 1803 by the Prince Regent, Prince George, to complement his seaside palace, Brighton Pavilion.

The Royal Pavilion Estate, which includes Brighton Dome, came into public ownership in 1850.

Among its features, a golden horse with balloons hangs from the ceiling and 1800s original wooden beams have been restored to fill the 550-seat Corn Exchange theatre space.

During a soft opening earlier this year of the Van Gogh Alive exhibition, the venue attracted more than 78,000 visitors, and live performances beginning in November have sold out, the site’s boss said.

Chief executive of Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival, Andrew Comben, told the PA news agency: “It is an incredibly iconic building and set of buildings, and for many people they define what Brighton is about.

“So making those as exciting as they possibly can be and as inviting as they possibly can be feels like a no brainer for us and for the city at large.

“We help to drive the local economy to really inspire visitors to come and to explore the wider region. So it has been a really vitally important regeneration project from that perspective, and then for our longer-term sustainability, not just us as an organisation but us as a city. That’s really important.”

The buildings have seen “a lot of life” with multiple uses over the years, from being a hospital that treated Indian soldiers in the First World War to a women’s roller-skating football space.

Evidence of soldiers smoking on the roof and a collection of letters believed to belong to patients were discovered during the refurbishment.

This is the first phase of a wider project by Brighton and Hove City Council, Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival, and Brighton and Hove Museums to make the Royal Pavilion Estate a landmark heritage destination in the UK.

They hope once the full project is complete for the sites to bring in 1.5 million visitors and £68 million to the city’s economy.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. fed-up-with-brighton-politics says:
    3 years ago

    This may sound mega-expensive and it was, but it sounds as if this investment might well reap major financial dividends for the city in due time (unlike the pathetic I360). Bold – but sensible – investment is the way to go for B&H, which has some unique existing ‘attractions’ already. However, the council, or whoever, has to make the whole surrounds to these places attractive to visitors as well (i.e. clear out the sub-human dross that inhabits the City Centre, get rid of the graffiti, get the fountain working and lit as it once was and make the City Centre a welcoming place for residents and visitors alike). Maybe the new Labour Council and the new CEO can buy into this vision, unlike the past long-‘serving’ non-visionary CEO (not the interim chap) and see what we could be again with a bit of effort and will. Doesn’t actually need to cost several arms and legs – it just takes will and effort by the council to clear out the dross from the City Centre, whether sub-human or otherwise, and return it to how it once was., which was a really good place to visit , eat and spend money.

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      3 years ago

      “sub-human dross”

      There is zero reason to use language like that.

      It says a lot about what sort of person you are.

      Reply
  2. Hove Actually says:
    3 years ago

    It is ironic this cost the same as the green i-sore investment
    This one’s an asset for the next 100 years the other an uncapped debt for as long.
    Criminals or green councilors, who is worse?

    Reply
  3. fed-up-with-brighton-politics says:
    3 years ago

    Friend of mine visited the Van Gogh experience when it was on and thought it was stunning. She also bought the catalogue/book that went with it and I’m sure many others bought souvenirs. Additionally, this isn’t a one-dimensional thing, often grounded by fog, with little to see once you’re up there, like the I-sore. All sorts of things can happen in the Corn Exchange and theatre, whether that’s innovative exhibitions like Van Gogh or live performances and it is the right way to go. It’s going to pay back the investment fairly quickly and make substantial profits in my opinion. But it still depends on making the whole area a great visitor experience, which means cleaning it up, clearing out the dubious characters that lurk in it, sorting out the Pavilion Gardens properly and so on. That is more about human investment and buy-in from the council, police and decent traders than spending vast sums of money, so let’s hope that the new political administration and new CEO can see the potential of this and get stuck into dealing with it. I hesitate to say ‘Let’s make Brighton great again’, as it is an unwelcome reminder of a certain US politician, but it was great once and can be again IF the will and buy-in is there.

    Reply
  4. fed-up-with-brighton-politics says:
    3 years ago

    PS: I would enthusiastically lobby my local councillors on this but one of them is embroiled in the ‘expelled from the Labour Party, don’t live here but won’t resign’ scandal and is totally absent/uncontactable and the other one, despite living here, is also totally useless and invisible. However, if anyone lives towards the City Centre and has a decent councillor (or knows a rep of a Residents’/Traders’ Association or something like that), then, if you are in favour of an initiative to transform the area around the Corn Exchange/theatre/Dome etc, please do contact/lobby these people. Nothing will happen otherwise.

    Reply
  5. fed-up-with-brighton-politics says:
    3 years ago

    Message to Chris C (my reply button still isn’t working). There are two people on this website (you are one of them, and have past form, and the other one, who is worse, pops up absolutely everywhere as some kind of self-styled expert guru on every subject under the sun, although he has never stated any sort of credentials for his ubiquitous and tiresome opinions. Fortunately, there are now people who are actively challenging his competence/credentials and I no longer bother to read his posts – or yours, although I did see this latest one. Lately, you two have been joined by another person, whose only contribution is to slag off people that he thinks voted Labour or Green in Kemptown at the last local elections and deserve all they get. No proper arguments – just unreasoning vitriol. Not all Kemptown residents voted for Lab/Greens. as the figures prove, so he has now joined you and the self-styled expert guru as people to be totally ignored.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Doors open on Corn Exchange’s £38m revamp

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
December 2023
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News