• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Vegan burger bar blames mix up for selling drinks without a licence

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 10 Feb, 2022 at 8:18PM
A A
0
Police caught vegan burger bar selling drinks without licence

Alcohol should never have been on sale at a new vegan burger bar in the centre of Brighton, a manager said.

But prosecco, beer and canned gin and tonic were put in a fridge for a promotional video for Flower Burger in North Street, Brighton.

Trilock Seebundhun, general manager of Flower Burger’s franchise holder Gerry’s Offshore Incorporations Limited, said that staff were told that they could not sell alcohol until the premises had a drink licence.

But, a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel was told, a miscommunication meant drinks were sold to customers in the first few days after business opened in December.

Council licensing officer Donna Lynsdale told the licensing panel that a manager from Gerry’s Offshore Incorporations, Yasmin Coot, had written on Wednesday 1 December to check whether the company could sell alcohol.

Ms Lynsdale told the hearing yesterday (Wednesday 9 February) that an email reply was sent the next day saying that alcohol sales were not allowed until a licence was granted.

Four days after the business opened, Sussex Police received a report from an off-duty officer who saw three customers drinking beer and prosecco at the restaurant on Monday 13 December.

The business was also advertising alcohol on its Deliveroo page.

On Tuesday 14 December, police and council licensing officers visited Flower Burger and found alcohol in the chiller cabinet – and staff admitted that drinks had been sold that day.

Labour councillor Carmen Appich – one of three members of the licensing panel – asked Mr Seebundhan if he knew about the email from the council on Thursday 2 December.

He said that he did. He said: “On the day of opening, I was there and explained to everyone we should not be serving alcohol until the licence is granted.

“The reason the alcohol was in the fridge at the time, which I let happen, was because we were taking a video to show what Flower Burger looked like.

“Then something has slipped but we have taken action on that.”

Councillor Carmen Appich

He apologised for the mistakes and said that alcohol would not be a significant part of the business.

It had applied for a licence to sell drinks from 11am to 10.30pm on and off the premises.

Mr Seebundhan withdrew the bid for “off sales” and said that he would settle for restaurant conditions, with alcohol sold only with a meal.

Sussex Police licensing officer Hannah Staplehurst said that the company had not responded to a letter about the breach of the licensing law or to the force’s representation against the licence.

She said: “The concern regarding selling alcohol without a licence highlights the applicant has limited understanding of the Licensing Act 2003.

“Should the licence be granted, Sussex Police feel this premises is likely to cause issues in the future and there would be concerns they could be trusted to adhere to conditions attached to a premises licence.”

Police and council licensing officials urged councillors to refuse the licence.

The panel was told that the premises were in North Street which is in Regency ward – and the ward had the worst record for violent crime, violent injuries, other assaults and sexual offences as well as the second-worst record for police-recorded alcohol-related incidents.

The panel retired to make its decision which is due to be made public within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Vegan burger bar blames mix up for selling drinks without a licence

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
February 2022
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News