• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

More than a hundred Brighton NHS staff head to London for protest

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 17 Oct, 2015 at 12:14PM
A A
0
More than a hundred Brighton NHS staff head to London for protest

Junior doctors at Brighton Station before heading off to a protest march in London last October

Hundreds of NHS staff from Brighton and Hove took part in a march and rally in central London today (Saturday 17 October).

They were protesting about changes to the contract for junior doctors which they say will mean longer hours and less pay.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt accused the British Medical Association (BMA) of misleading doctors and the public about the effects of the new contract.

But doctors, in turn, have said that it is Mr Hunt who is misleading people.

Junior doctors protest 20151017
Junior doctors, medical students and fellow NHS staff at Brighton Station before the protest rally in London

Danny McLernon-Billows, a junior accident and emergency (A&E) doctor from Brighton, said: “On (Tuesday) 13 October, Jeremy Hunt yet again told the Commons that his plans to cut junior doctors’ pay by up to 40 per cent were necessary to implement a ‘seven-day NHS’.

“He claimed this will tackle the ‘11,000 excess deaths’ from emergency admissions at the weekend, caused by under-staffing.

“There are several glaring errors here. First, seven-day emergency NHS care already exists. Every single patient is seen by a doctor within four hours and a consultant within 24 hours.

“Second, no health service on the planet currently delivers seven-day non-urgent (elective) care.

“Third, increasing non-urgent weekend services will do absolutely nothing to reduce avoidable deaths from emergency admissions.

“Fourth, we spend less on health than almost every other western country. The NHS is facing the biggest funding and recruitment crisis for a generation.”

Jeremy Hunt
Jeremy Hunt

Dr McLernon-Billows said: “Making doctors provide non-urgent weekend care will push our overstretched weekday service to breaking point.

“Paying doctors less for anti-social rotas will worsen the recruitment crisis in exactly the areas we need them – emergency care and general practice.

“Finally, Mr Hunt’s ‘11,000 excess weekend deaths’ figure was taken from a paper by Professor Bruce Keogh, in which he explicitly states ‘it is not possible to ascertain the extent to which these deaths are avoidable’. To assume so would be ‘misleading’.

“Jeremy Hunt is deliberately misleading the public. Out of fear, patients have delayed going to A&E until after the weekend, with dire consequences. One person has already been left paralysed.

“Dr Andrew Wakefield was rightly struck off for disseminating equally misleading and dangerous public health messages.

“Mr Hunt needs to be held to the same professional standards.”

Rob Galloway and Katy
Rob Galloway and Katy

Before the protesters set off by train for London, Rob Galloway, an A&E consultant from Brighton, said: “The NHS winter crisis is now all year round.”

Dr Galloway was one of the speakers at the rally today.

Earlier this week he accused Mr Hunt of being the best recruitment consultant – for the Australian health service.

Dr Galloway, who teaches at the Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said that he hoped that those who were due to graduate next year would want to work in the NHS.

His concern reflects the growing number of local doctors who have moved abroad to countries such as Australia, New Zealand and Qatar. The Qataris are due to hold another recruitment round shortly.

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Royal Sussex County Hospital, has previously reported difficulty in persuading locally qualified nurses to work for the NHS locally.

A leaflet from Sussex Defend the NHS said: “Who are junior doctors? Most doctors work for at least 10 years as ‘juniors’ after qualifying.

“Training may leave them with debts of £60,000 or more. Their basic pay starts at £23,000.

“Why are they balloting for strike action? Junior doctors are angry because Jeremy Hunt is trying to force a new contract on them.

“He tore up the agreement made with the BMA (the main doctors’ union) last year.

“What is wrong with the new contract?

  • It takes away the extra ‘unsocial hours’ payments that doctors rely on to supplement their basic salary. This is a pay cut estimated between 10 to 30 per cent.
  • It extends ‘normal’ hours to up to 10pm and includes Saturdays. It removes safeguards on working hours. Junior doctors currently have to average 48 hours per week but many work far longer hours. Any more would be unsafe on workers and patients.
  • It takes away the GP trainee supplement. That will make training as a GP even less attractive.
  • It removes incremental salary protection for junior doctors taking maternity leave. This will disadvantage and discourage women doctors.”
Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

More than a hundred Brighton NHS staff head to London for protest

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Smoky saunas get up neighbours’ noses

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News