• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton detectives and social workers investigate sunburnt baby's alarming injuries

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 26 May, 2010 at 5:11PM
A A
1

Detectives from Brighton are investigating how a baby boy ended up with serious sunburn on a trip to the beach.

The officers from Sussex Police are working with social workers from Brighton and Hove City Council and Greenwich Council in London after the baby was treated in hospital in Brighton.

The baby and his mother, 29, come from Plumstead, which is in Greenwich in South-East London.

The investigation began after a member of the public stopped two police community support officers who were patrolling along Brighton seafront on Sunday.

As a result, the PCSOs ensured that the five-month-old boy was treated promptly at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

The baby was seen by a burns specialist from the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead, Baljit Dheansa.

The consultant said that the baby could have had life threatening injuries. He said that fortunately he was in a stable condition and had been released from hospital.

He was suffering from blistering and appeared to have 20 per cent burns when he was admitted to hospital.

But sunburn injuries can keep developing even after someone is out of the sun.

In the case of the baby boy, he ended up with 40 per cent burns.

Inspector David Derrick, of Sussex Police, praised the PCSOs who stepped in on Sunday.

He said: “The PCSOs who intervened to help this family form a critical part of neighbourhood policing in the city of Brighton and Hove.

“The actions of these officers is a clear demonstration on how neighbourhood policing identifies problems and keeps people safe.

“Within minutes of them being alerted and foreseeing the possible danger to this child they were able to take him and the mother to a safe place and arrange medical support.

“The baby was discharged from hospital last night (Tuesday 25 May).

“Detectives are now establishing the full details and working with local authority counterparts in London to consider any child protection concerns.

“The PCSOs that work in the area of the seafront work tirelessly to ensure the millions of visitors to Brighton and Hove have a safe place to visit.

“They achieve this by supporting their colleagues in preventing crime and interacting with the community at every opportunity to ensure they feel safe.”

A spokeswoman for Sussex Police said: “No arrests have been made at this stage and the baby is doing fine.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Dan Wilson says:
    16 years ago

    The story of the poor burnt baby is one of the most appaling I’ve heard in a while. It’s horrid. It’s wrong that I’m rejoicing that the poor little mite didn’t die. But I am. It could have been tragic.

    I’m no fan of snooping and nanny stating, but Brighton may need to look at a bit of prevention here. Investigating after the fact is fine, but we need some prevention and education here. There were an alarming number of Lobster coloured folk down by the sea on Sunday. It’s bad enough when adults are burnt to buggery but kids and babies? Awful.

    That could mean something with nataional government or maybe even something gimmicky with private sponsorship. But we must make the point, right down on the pebbles that excess sun is very, very bad.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Brighton detectives and social workers investigate sunburnt baby's alarming injuries

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2010
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News