• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Historic Hove site to be revamped after badger fears allayed

by Frank le Duc
Monday 25 Jul, 2011 at 3:30AM
A A
0

More changes are on the way at one of Hove’s most historic sites after planners gave permission for a revamp.

A single-storey exhibition hall can now be built at the Engineerium in The Droveway, Hove, and an underground exhibition area can be created below the existing car park.

Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee also approved a two-storey extension to the existing workshop on the site.

Glass walkways will link the new buildings which will provide 1,200 square metres of extra space.

The complex includes grade II and grade II* listed buildings.

They were due to be sold at auction five years ago along with the historic collection of working beam engine pumps and engineering exhibits.

They were bought by property developer Mike Holland who wanted to keep the collection together.

He has since been refurbishing the old buildings and looking at ways to make the Engineerium a viable visitor attraction.

Among the latest proposed changes to win planning permission are alterations to provide disabled access facilities, including ramps and a lift.

Mr Holland will also be allowed to fit solar panels on the roof of the new workshop.

Reassurances

Councillors were due to decide the application last month but put it on hold so that they could learn more about two badger setts on the site.

A council ecologist said that the main sett would not be disturbed by the revamp but a rarely used subsidiary sett would be lost.

In light of his reassurances, councillors granted permission for the changes subject to a “badger mitigation strategy” being prepared by a qualified badger consultant and approved by planning officials.

A report to councillors also said: “The applicant is reminded of their obligation to protect bats and slow worms during demolition and constructions works.

“If any bats and / or slow worms are found during demolition / construction then works should be stopped immediately and advice sought from Natural England.”

The Engineerium was originally a water pumping station built by the civil engineer Thomas Hawksley in 1866.

The Planning Committee chairman Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty said: “We’ve had assurance from our expert that the badgers will withstand the temporary disturbance during building and the subsidiary sett was rarely used and not important to the group.

“These extensions should make this a much more viable museum.

“In turn that will contribute to the upkeep of an important historic building.”

Councillor Geoff Wells said: “If this developer hadn’t bought this place it would probably have fallen down by now.”

And Councillor Carol Theobald said: “This application will enhance this attraction for the city.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Historic Hove site to be revamped after badger fears allayed

School building to become temporary charity hub

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
July 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News