• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Work likely to start on Brighton Eye this autumn

by Frank le Duc
Friday 11 May, 2012 at 9:35AM
A A
2

Work on the i360 Brighton Eye looks likely to start in the autumn after the £35 million scheme was given a financial kickstart yesterday afternoon (Thursday 10 May).

Senior members of Brighton and Hove City Council approved a £14 million loan in principle, with final sign-off expected to be given on Thursday 12 July.

They hope to see the new tourist attraction up and running by April 2014 – within two years – and believe that it will directly create the equivalent of 150 full-time jobs.

Some of those will be construction jobs while others will be for full and part-time staff working at the site by the shore end of the West Pier on Brighton seafront.

The council is due to start major road works in October close to the site which should bring the disused neighbouring seafront arches back into use.

One goal is to carry out construction work at the same time, minimising disruption to drivers.

The council will borrow the £14 million from the Public Works Loan Board and lend it on at a commercial rate to the company behind the i360.

The decision comes weeks after the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership recommended a £3 million loan from its Growing Places Fund.

‘Shovel ready’

The fund was intended to help “shovel ready” projects that were struggling because of “market failure”.

The i360 company had already raised £18 million after being granted planning permission in October 2006 for the 600ft (175m) observation tower.

One of the architects behind the i360, David Marks, told councillors: “The project has stalled because of the continuing credit crisis and the extreme reluctance of the banking sector to lend.”

Mr Marks, who was also responsible for the London Eye, said: “People just love going up high to enjoy a good view.”

He said that the London Eye had revived the South Bank area of central London and that the Brighton Eye would have a similar effect.

He added: “It will create jobs and fundamentally underpin the economy of the city.

“Its scale and design will help raise the profile of Brighton and Hove.”

And Eleanor Harris, who will run the attraction, said: “It will be a wonderful way for you to see your city from a new perspective.

She ran the London Eye for its first six years and has worked with various big visitor attractions including the Royal Pavilion.

She said that the viewing pod could hold about 200 people at a time and could be used for parties or even performances during the Brighton Festival.

The i360 is expected to attract 700,000 to 750,000 visitors a year with numbers as high as 800,000 in the first year.

Flat-lining

Council leader Bill Randall said that it would help regenerate Preston Street and the area around the pier, indirectly creating more than 400 jobs.

Labour group leader Councillor Gill Mitchell said: “That is an area of the seafront that’s crying out for an anchor attraction.

“We’ve got an economy that’s flat-lining and banks that won’t lend so it’s right that the council should be bold.”

She pointed to the success of the new Falmer stadium and added: “It would be good to replicate that on the seafront.”

But she also told the Green administration: “You’re going to have to look at your parking charges because you could scupper the success of a project like this.”

Conservative group leader Councillor Geoffrey Theobald said that he welcomed the Greens’ proposed investment in the Regency Square car park, opposite the site.

Councillor Theobald said: “Council officers and the administration need to take a very careful look at the numbers.

“The benefits are very large and so are the pitfalls.

“Preston Street has suffered mainly because of the success of restaurants in other parts of the city.”

He added that the scheme would regenerate the area around the West Pier and, he hoped, it could “kickstart the redevelopment of the West Pier itself”.

Councillors asked officials to hold further talks with Marks Barfield Architects and draw up detailed loan financing and repayment terms.

The loan is subject to due diligence and the agreement of the cross-party Policy and Resources Committee in July.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Alasdair says:
    14 years ago

    This will be a blight on the landscape. I also can’t see it making anywhere near enough money to make it a financially viable project.

    Reply
  2. Mr Smith says:
    12 years ago

    i hope i really do hope the rusting tubing will look wonderful and all chromey like in the images of the finished project
    http://www.marksbarfield.com/#/projects/brighton-i360/?filter=date&layout=gallery&gallery=construction&image=4

    i remember the stainless steal lamp posts that went up along the seafront they have spent a lot of money ” and it was not green” to chemicaly prevent them re rusting http://bromoco.co.uk/Graffitiprotection.aspx

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Work likely to start on Brighton Eye this autumn

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
May 2012
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News