• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

The verge of frustration in Brighton’s latest parking battle

by Frank le Duc
Friday 11 Oct, 2013 at 12:53PM
A A
1

Drivers can expect a parking ticket if they leave their cars on the verges in ten named streets in Brighton and Hove.

Traffic wardens are being asked to enforce the rules in three streets in the Surrenden area of Brighton and seven others in Mile Oak in Portslade.

But a council committee voted to leave Varndean Road off the list despite a plea from the Preston and Patcham Society and one of the ward councillors.

The decision followed a safety audit last month by independent consultants and comments from residents.

The committee was told that the clampdown on parking on verges was a pilot scheme. This appears to mean that other roads may be added rather than that enforcement will be for a limited time only.

Nick White, a Preston and Patcham Society committee member, addressed members of the Brighton and Hove City Council Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee at Hove Town Hall on Tuesday (8 October).

He said: “We feel that Varndean Road deserves better than to be left out.

“We’re not tree huggers. We’re seeking practical solutions for the residents and drivers.

“It strikes me that the consultants got it wrong. Reinstate Varndean Road. Permit on-street parallel parking – there’s room for 15 to 16 cars.”

He said that up to 30 cars drivers were now leaving their cars on the verges in Varndean Road, creating safety problems.

Some, he said, would be displaced and drivers would end up trying to park elsewhere but about half could park at the kerbside.

He added: “Don’t let the car take over. Put the residents first. The numbers that are parking on the verges has increased substantially – up to 30.

“I’ve stood around there observing drivers’ behaviour. They adapt. They manage. It’s a busy road but passing places do exist.

“Our plan is no cost, it has health benefits and only modest inconvenience for a few – it involves walking for up to five minutes.”

Councillor Sue Shanks, who represents Withdean for the Greens, said: “This is supposed to be a pilot. I would hope that a member of the committee would move an amendment to include Varndean Road in the pilot.”

No one did.

The streets affected in the Surrenden area of Brighton are Braybon Avenue, Surrenden Crescent and Surrenden Road.

And in Mile Oak the affected streets are Chalky Road, Drove Crescent, Graham Avenue, Mile Oak Road, Valley Road, Wickhurst Rise and Wickhurst Road.

Signs will go up under relatively new powers for the council which are being used for the first time.

Councillor Pete West, the Green chairman of the committee, said: “This scheme is a pilot and it’s a consensual pilot and we could learn a lot from it. I don’t think the future of Varndean Road rests on whether it is included in this pilot.

Council official Owen McElroy said: “This is a brand new form of restriction and signage introduced by the Department for Transport in 2010 and it’s the first application in Brighton and Hove.

“I’ve had a request from a councillor in Hangleton and Knoll to introduce the scheme into West Way. There are other wards where councillors are asking for this scheme to be introduced.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. john scutt says:
    13 years ago

    I hope the council, would look at The Deneway, in particular from where northbound traffic turns left to then pass under the railway arch…
    The grass verges have been destroyed over the years, I personally have emailed the council a number of times, to no avail…
    best regards
    John Scutt
    Westdene resident.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

The verge of frustration in Brighton’s latest parking battle

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2013
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News