Neighbours face another night away from home as work to secure collapsed Brighton house continue

Posted On 19 Feb 2015 at 5:34 pm

Neighbours of a house which collapsed in Brighton’s North Laine yesterday afternoon have been told they may not be able to return home until the weekend.

North Laine dangerous structureSeveral people were evacuated after a wall of a house in Over Street collapsed shortly after 1pm yesterday.

Roads were closed while firefighters worked to make the scene safe, before handing over to the council’s building control team.

This afternoon, the council said it hoped to have secured the site by the weekend.

A council spokesperson said: “Following the failure of the end gable wall at 1 Over Street, scaffolding has been erected to the front side and rear of the property with shoring into the street on the front elevation to retain the remaining walls and prevent any risk to the adjoining properties.

“We are hopeful that by the weekend the immediate danger will have been removed, the site secured, and residents who have been displaced will be able to return to their homes.”

  1. Valerie Paynter Reply

    Just looked at the Hove weather for the next few days (up to Monday) on the meteorological website. Gusting up to 50mph on Monday….hurricane leftovers from Canada and the eastern USA this last week means that securing this site is even more important.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.