• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
25 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Travellers set up camp at Woodingdean burial ground

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 26 May, 2015 at 4:03PM
A A
0
Travellers set up camp at Woodingdean burial ground

Picture by David Eldridge

A group of travellers which had previously set up camp on an ancient burial ground in Hangleton have now moved to a current one in Woodingdean.

Picture by David Eldridge
Picture by David Eldridge

The group of Irish travellers were due to be evicted from St Helen’s Green in Hangleton, thought to be a burial ground connected to the mediaeval church which stands next to it.

But yesterday evening, before the notice could be served, they moved to land next to the Woodingdean Memorial Cemetery in Woodingdean.

A council spokesman said: “We’re highly aware of the fact it’s a sensitive site. So we’re due to attend the encampment with police today to establish what prompt action the law of the land enables us or the police to take.”

MP Simon Kirby said: “I have been contacted by many residents who are extremely concerned about the illegal traveller encampment at Lawn Memorial Cemetery in Woodingdean.

“Residents with loved ones buried at the site are particularly upset about the illegal encampment. I have raised these concerns with Sussex Police and Brighton and Hove City Council.

“Brighton and Hove City Council has sufficient powers to swiftly deal with illegal traveller encampments, which has been made clear by government ministers.

“I urge the city council to make full use of these powers to ensure that the illegal encampment is removed from this sensitive site as soon as possible.”

Meanwhile, another camp has set up in Preston Park after leaving Hollingbury Park, just days after another group was moved on from there.

Both camps are being visited by the council and police.

The council is due to go to court on Thursday for an eviction notice for a third camp of van dwellers at the BMX site in Sheepcote Valley and land next to the Racehill allotments off Wilson Avenue.

Just over the city border in Southwick, an illegal traveller camp on Southwick Green was moved on the same day it arrived. after police served a Section 62A notice.

Sussex Police says it was only able to use the notice because of the opening of an official transit site in Chichester last month, to which they were able to direct the travellers.

Chief Inspector Will Rolls said: “After this encampment was reported to us we carried out a visit to the site to make an assessment and check on the welfare needs of the people there. This was carried out jointly with staff from West Sussex County Council.

“The use of powers under section 62 were authorised and officers gave the encampment a direction to leave as there were spaces available at the newly open transit site.

“The group subsequently left the location at around 11pm that evening. We have not received any reports over the weekend of damage or crime.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Travellers set up camp at Woodingdean burial ground

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
May 2015
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News