• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Residents unaware of five-storey block plans take complaint to ombudsman

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 2 Jun, 2015 at 11:49AM
A A
0
Neighbours aghast after five-storey building goes up metres away without anyone telling them

Residents who were horrified when work started on a five-storey block metres away from their homes without their knowledge say they are going to take the council to the ombudsman.

Richmond Parade neighboursPeople living in Ebeneezer Apartments complained to the council after the development in Richmond Parade started going up in April after being given planning permission the previous September.

A council policy not to consult neighbouring blocks of flats with more than 15 people living in them meant the only notification was a site notice, which as it was placed away from the front of their flats was not spotted by many of them.

However, the council has rejected their complaint, saying that correct policy was followed, and objections had been received to an earlier application – and so they are now taking their case to the local government ombudsman.

However, council policy has now been amended to ensure future notifications are placed as near as possible to neighbouring building’s front doors.

Resident Michael Nelson said: “As expected the council says nothing was done wrong.

“It says all future notifications are to be placed nearest to the building doors – although they did admit they didn’t know there was an entrance on our street.”

“It’s contradictory and not taking any responsibility at best. We hope to get the ombudsman to find insufficient notice was given and as no light levels were taken into account when granting planning permission, to get it revoked and only allow him a maximum of three floors, not five.

“The building work stopped while the complaint took place but has resumed on the day we received the letter.

“How can the council arbitrarily push through development with obscure procedures?”

The letter from the council rejecting the complaint says correct policy was followed, and also says that even were the residents’ objections lodged, they would not have had an impact on permission being granted.

Complaints officer Kate Welch said: “Given that the location of notices was near to the site to which the application related and that objections were received from residents of the Ebenezer Apartments and Ivory Place I am satisfied that the location of the site notices were reasonable.

“Notwithstanding this I have asked for an amendment to be made to the planning team’s working practices that for notification of blocks of flats with more than 15 units the site notice should always be placed as close as possible to the main entrance to the building and that officers should confirm how many entrances there are and where the locations of those entrances are to ensure that notices are placed in a location which is most easily visible to residents.”

Council policy states that residents of neighbouringblocks with 15 or more flats are only consulted over major developments, which must be more than nine homes on a site of more than half a hectare for residential, or more than a hectare for non-residential.

In contrast, 351 students living in Abacus accommodation above the London Road Co-op were individually consulted over Wetherspoon’s application to open a pub thereRichmond Parade neighbours, as they are resident in the same block.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Residents unaware of five-storey block plans take complaint to ombudsman

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
June 2015
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News