• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Western Road post office set to close

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 24 Jul, 2015 at 8:56AM
A A
1
Western Road post office set to close

Western Road post office. Image taken from Google Streetview

Almost two thousand people have joined a campaign to save a busy Hove post office after plans to close it were revealed.

Western Road post office. Image taken from Google StreetviewGreen councillors for Brunswick and Adelaide launched the online petition to stop the post office in Western Road being closed in January next year, and to date it has been signed by 1,874 people.

Post Office Limited launched its own public consultation last month, saying that the existing provision would be “merged” with a post office on Melville Road, about a mile distant up a hill.

Ollie Sykes, ward Councillor for Brunswick and Adelaide ward said: “There’s huge public opposition to this move. In less than two days, more than 1500 people signed the petition to Post Office Limited, asking that the Brunswick Town post office be saved.

“ People have commented that they use the service every day, and that the service is so good there that they come from other parts of town to use this post office.

“It’s at the perfect location in the heart of Brunswick Town and the centre of the local community. The alternative provision put forward will be inconvenient if not inaccessible to many residents.”

Phelim Mac Cafferty, fellow ward Councillor for Brunswick and Adelaide ward said: “I would really like to know the rationale for this move: the post office is much-loved and incredibly well used. It seems to be yet another penny-pinching exercise from the Post Office.

” Further, the proposed closure will hurt our infirm and elderly residents hardest who will have to go all the way to Melville Road post office- that’s a mile away up steep hills. The sad reality is that those residents simply won’t bother so in effect this proposal will cut them off from post office services.

“Have Post Office tested their decision to make sure it won’t disproportionately harm some parts of the community?”

The Post Office says the merger is needed to secure the long-term viability of local post office services, and that the number of people using the post office has declined to the point that it’s no longer commercially sustainable.

 

Roger Gale, Crown Network General Manager, said: “We understand how important Post Office services are to people in the area We want to make it easier for customers to do business with us, and we are confident this merger will meet the needs of customers in the area and help us to secure services for the future.”

Post Offfice’s 12-week consultation closes on 16 September 2015. Comments and questions can be submitted through our online questionnaire at postofficeviews.co.uk, by FREEPOST Your Comments to Post Office Ltd, via email to comments@postoffice.co.uk, via the Customer Helpline on 08457 22 33 44 or Textphone 08457 22 33 55.

In all communications, customers are asked to quote branch code 01090799

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Pingback: No return for Brunswick after Post Office admit they are “unable to restore a service locally” | Brunswick and Adelaide Ward, Hove

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Western Road post office set to close

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Met Office warns of torrential rain tomorrow

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Housing boss quit after fire safety failures, court told

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News