• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Community health trust chief praises staff response to Shoreham airshow crash

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 3 Sep, 2015 at 10:05AM
A A
0
Hove’s next MP spells out views on health at hustings

Community health workers have been praised for their response to the Shoreham airshow crash this morning (Thursday 3 September).

The praise came from Sussex Community NHS Trust chief executive Paula Head at the trust’s AGM (annual general meeting).

Ms Head said that frontline staff had once again demonstrated that they rise to the occasion when faced with a challenge – and the past week and a half had been challenging.

She added that the thoughts of everyone at the trust remained with all those affected by the crash.

The AGM, held in Crawley, was told that the trust and its staff needed to find savings totalling about £7 million in a budget of almost £200 million.

The biggest area of spending was staff, accounting for about £135 million – or almost 70 per cent of the trust’s annual budget. The trust employs about 4,400 staff.

The trust provides community health care – medical, nursing and therapeutic – across Brighton and Hove and West Sussex.

Most patients are cared for in their own home or as close to home as possible in places such as community hospitals or local clinics and health centres.

The staff include health visitors, school nurses and a range of clinical specialists.

Ms Head said that the trust had been inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) during the past year and found to be good.

And she was pleased with the results of the staff survey that rated the trust as one of the 100 best places to work in the health sector, according to the Health Service Journal.

Finance director Jonathan Reid said: “We’re in the middle of another very challenging year.

“The trust has had a long and turbulent financial history.

“But last year we were able to deliver our planned surplus for the year. And our surplus is money we are then able to invest in our services and staff.”

Mr Reid, not the driest of finance directors, said that for the past few years the trust had had a savings target of about £12 million which was tough on a turnover of about £200 million.

Last year, thanks to recurring savings, he said, the savings target was about £10 million.

This year the savings target had been reduced to £7 million. He praised the way that staff had responded, helping to strengthen the trust’s financial position.

Last year the trust delivered a surplus of £1 million which was 0.5 per cent of out turnover, he said.

This year the target was 1.5 per cent.

Along with the savings target, this would mean another financially challenging year, he said, in common with many organisations across the public sector.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Community health trust chief praises staff response to Shoreham airshow crash

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News