• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Work starts on Rampion wind farm off coast of Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Monday 14 Sep, 2015 at 5:41PM
A A
0

Work is about to start off the coast of Brighton and Hove to prepare the seabed for the first foundations for the Rampion wind farm.

Eon, the power company behind the project, said: “Work will begin this week at the Rampion Offshore Wind Farm, in readiness for the first foundation installation in January.

“This will include clearing boulders on the seabed along the cable route and around each of the 116 foundation positions to allow safe and effective installation.”

Chris Tomlinson, Eon’s development manager for the Rampion Offshore Wind Farm, said: “After five years in development, following successful consultation, consent and contracting, we’re delighted to be able to confirm that work will commence this week to prepare the seabed for turbine installation.

A subsea boulder grabber
A subsea boulder grabber

“Assessment of the number of boulders is still under way but is likely to be in the thousands and up to six vessels will be on site to undertake the work over the next many months.

“Great efforts will be made to replicate the seabed as it is now and all boulders moved will be weighed and the new position recorded.

“Details of the new positions of the boulders will be made freely available to sea users. We will continue to issue Notices to Mariners to keep sea users informed of these works.”

This coincides with work commencing onshore, Eon said, with the first of 12 stages of the onshore project starting earlier this month to the south of Upper Brighton Road, Worthing.

Access points will be constructed first to allow construction of a haul road along the cable route.

This will be followed by trenching works to lay the ducting for the cables, and finally, the reinstatement of the ground.

Work will start on building the onshore substation in Twineham towards the end of the month.

Mr Tomlinson said: “Throughout the Rampion project’s progress we’ve worked hard to keep the local community informed of our activities.

“And over the last three months community events have been held at locations along the cable route in Lancing, Steyning, Henfield and Twineham, where we were pleased to be able to update over 500 local people of our construction plans.”

When the turbines are fully complete in early 2018 the electricity cables will come ashore at the Brooklands Pleasure Park in Worthing.

They will transport power along more than 16 miles of underground onshore cable to the new substation at Twineham where it will be connected to the grid.

During the planned three-year offshore construction period it is estimated that about 250 to 300 jobs will be created.

A workforce of up to 100 will be employed for the onshore cable route and about 40 to 60 more people at the onshore substation during construction.

RampionOnce the wind farm is commissioned and fully operational, Eon expects up to 65 full-time permanent jobs to be created at the operations and maintenance base.

These will be advertised locally and will include two apprenticeship roles a year for at least three years, Eon said.

Approval has also been received from Lewes District Council Planning Committee for the wind farm’s operations and maintenance base at Newhaven Port.

The design is expected to be finalised over the winter, with construction planned to start next year.

The 400MW 116-turbine project should provide enough electricity to supply the equivalent of about 300,000 homes cut C02 emissions by up to 600,000 tonnes a year.

For more information, click here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Work starts on Rampion wind farm off coast of Brighton

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News