• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police to appeal after Brighton pub is spared temporary closure

by Frank le Duc
Friday 25 Sep, 2015 at 5:24PM
A A
0
Five out of seven Brighton pubs sell alcohol to children

A police chief said that he would appeal after Brighton’s oldest gay pub was given a reprieve when its licence was reviewed by a panel this week.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp will ask magistrates to help keep people safe by backing the measures that he supported at the licensing panel hearing on Monday (21 September).

The divisional commander for Brighton and Hove said that the proposals requested by Sussex Police were carefully considered.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp
Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp

The force said: “Sussex Police is to launch an appeal against Brighton and Hove City Council licensing committee’s decision following their review of the Bulldog public house licence.

“On Monday the committee turned down a number of conditions requested by police who are concerned about the levels of crime connected to this venue.

“City police commander, Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp, is disappointed by the decision and believes that the committee has failed to take the opportunity to sufficiently improve the safety of people attending the Bulldog.”

Chief Superintendent Kemp said: “We had initially sought revocation of the pub’s licence but following that request we had further meetings with the owner where he said that he was willing to make improvements to the way the premises was run.

“I felt it appropriate to ask the committee to consider a number of changes aimed at keeping people safe instead of revoking the licence completely.

“I did not want the Bulldog to close but I do want it to become a far safer place than it has been for too long now.

“And I believe that without substantial improvements to the way in which it is run, it also has the potential of damaging the reputation of other licensed premises in the Kemp Town area, which I do not want to see either.

“The changes to the Bulldog licence that we had requested had been carefully considered and were reasonable and measured and our concerns were supported in the committee hearing by a representative for the council’s directors for public health and children’s services as well as local residents.

Bulldog

“The changes to the licence stipulated by the committee, however, are in my view insufficient to ensure the improvements necessary and substantially reduce the plethora of breaches to the existing licence conditions over recent months along with some very serious incidents.”

Changes requested by the police included a reduction of hours to a 1am end of licensable activity and closing at 2am on Fridays and Saturdays, a four-week closure period and a licence condition requiring the implementation of an electronic identification scanning system.

“Installation of this system had been offered by the owner during negotiations but has yet to be installed despite proving successful in reducing crime and disorder and catching offenders – including for sexual assaults – at a number of other venues elsewhere in the city.

“The identification system can also help to ensure that under-age people are not permitted entry as has repeatedly happened at the Bulldog.

“The committee decided that they would reduce the hours to 2am with a 3am closing time, suspend the licence from midnight for a four-week period and not apply the condition relating to the ID system.”

Chief Superintendent Kemp added: “It is the responsibility of the licensee to ensure the safety of those attending his premises but, despite warnings from us, he persistently failed to do so.

“It is therefore incumbent on us and the licensing committee to step in and ensure that this situation changes because we cannot tolerate somewhere directly linked to persistent reports of sexual assaults on women, where people are allowed to get so drunk that they are unable to look after themselves and where children are allowed to enter and drink too.

“I do not believe that these limited conditions, which fall well short of what was requested, adequately support us in reducing this clear risk to public safety and I am disappointed about that.

“So many alarming incidents have taken place at the Bulldog – including a very serious sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl after she was ejected from the premises just hours after the pub failed a police-led under-age test purchase operation – mean in our view that more impactive changes than those stipulated are needed.

“When comparing the size of this pub to other venues in the city, the number of offences is unacceptably disproportionate.

“Under the circumstances, and following discussions with colleagues, I have decided that the right course of action is for Sussex Police to take the unusual step of appealing this decision to the magistrates’ court.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Police to appeal after Brighton pub is spared temporary closure

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News