• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Volks Railway to get £1.65m facelift

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 28 Sep, 2015 at 11:18PM
A A
2

  The Volks Railway is to get £1.65million of tender loving care thanks to heritage lottery money.

Brighton and Hove City Council has won a successful bid from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for £1.65million. The money will be used to restore carriages from the historic Volk’s Railway as well as providing new and upgraded facilities and activities.
Thanks to National Lottery players, works to build the new facilities are planned to start in September 2016 at the end of the railway’s operating season and are expected to be finished in spring 2017.

Volk’s Railway runs for a mile along Brighton seafront from the Brighton Pier to Black Rock. Opened in 1883, it is the world’s oldest electric railway and the first public electric railway in Britain. The Volk’s Railway was taken into council ownership in 1940. Since then teams of council staff, with support from dedicated volunteers, have kept the railway running right up to the present day.
Councillor Alan Robins, Deputy Chair of the city’s Economic Development and Culture Committee, said: “The Volk’s Railway is a much loved and integral part of our city’s history. The funding success announced today is recognition from the HLF of the importance of this fascinating Victorian attraction which is still so very popular today in the 21 century. We will put the funds to good use to maintain and improve the railway, creating an even better experience for future passengers while staying true to Volk’s vision.”

The funding will be used to:

Provide a purpose-built heritage visitor centre at the Aquarium station to tell the story of Magnus Volk and his pioneering railway
Create a conservation workshop to protect the historic carriages, enable restoration work to be viewed, and provide training for volunteers to develop their skills

Restore and bring back to use three of the original carriages (numbers 4, 6 and 10) which will increase capacity on the railway

Develop new learning materials, schools sessions, events and activities

Stuart McLeod, Head of HLF South East, said: “We are delighted that, thanks to National Lottery players, we are able to support this exciting project. The importance of the Volk’s Railway as the world’s oldest electric railway is clear, and we are pleased that this project will help more people engage with this fascinating heritage.”

Peter Williams, spokesperson for the Volk’s Electric Railway Association (VERA), said: “After months of anticipation Volk’s Electric Railway Association is thrilled to receive this exciting news. The Heritage Lottery Fund grant will secure the future of Volk’s Electric Railway for generations to come and will provide visitors with a new heritage experience based around the legacy that Magnus Volk left to the city of Brighton and Hove. At long last, staff and volunteers will be able to operate the railway’s historic cars from a modern, well-equipped depot.

“The association is indebted to the hard work that Brighton and Hove City Council and the project steering group have put in over the past 18 months and looks forward sharing this historic occasion.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Adam Campbell says:
    10 years ago

    Imagine how the Volks would look if it had £45 million spent on it. Instead our idiot councillors voted for a fairground ride. You could not make it up.

    Reply
  2. Anne Wilding says:
    10 years ago

    Yes, it could be extended West to Hove Lagoon…. and east to Rottingdean.

    How amazing and popular would that be?

    And what a boost for local businesses along the route.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Adam Campbell Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Volks Railway to get £1.65m facelift

School building to become temporary charity hub

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News