Brighton hospital chief welcomes news of £485m funding for modernisation

Posted On 26 Oct 2015 at 1:45 pm

The chief executive of Brighton and Hove’s main hospital trust has welcomed news that the Treasury has signed off the funding for the £485 million modernisation of the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

Matthew Kershaw said that he was still waiting for the formal letter but that the news marked “a genuine turning point”.

“Redevelopment is no longer an ambitious plan,” he said. “It is the future of this hospital.”

Some initial work, including decanting offices and staff, has already begun in readiness for the nine-year scheme – known as the 3Ts project. The 3Ts are trauma, teaching and tertiary care, reflecting key aspects of the finished scheme.

In a statement the hospital trust said today (Monday 26 October): “Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust has today received word that Her Majesty’s Treasury has given the final approval of the full business case for the 3Ts redevelopment of the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

“Although awaiting formal confirmation by letter, the news could not be more welcome.

Matthew Kershaw

Matthew Kershaw

“The £484.7 million publically funded redevelopment programme will replace some of the oldest buildings in the NHS with two new state-of-the-art facilities.”

Mr Kershaw, the chief executive of the trust, said: “This redevelopment is a once in a generation opportunity to build on the excellent care we currently provide to our patients and truly improve acute healthcare for patients in Brighton and Hove and across the region.

“Today’s announcement marks a genuine turning point. The 3Ts redevelopment is no longer an ambitious plan. It is the future of this hospital.

“I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the success of the project so far.

“A great deal of work has gone into bringing us to this point and there is still much more to be done.

“The result though, having a better hospital for all our patients and staff in the years to come, is worth all this effort and more.”

The trust said: “In January 2016 the preparation works will begin for the first of the two new buildings.

“Just under a quarter of the hospital site will be given over to construction.

“All clinical services will be available on site throughout the redevelopment.

“Those that have to move to make way for construction are being given temporary accommodation on site that is better than their current environment.

“The Stage 1 Building is scheduled for completion at the end of 2019, Stage 2 in 2023 and Stage 3, a new service yard for the hospital, completes the programme in 2024.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.