A housing association has drawn up plans for a landmark 17-storey building on Hove seafront to help tackle the shortage of homes in the area.
Hyde is holding a public exhibition on Saturday (21 November) to display the plans and invite feedback from the public, in particular, from neighbours.
The plans are for 107 homes in a 56-metre high tower block with 52 parking spaces for cars and 149 for bikes on the Sackville Hotel site in Kingsway.
The hotel collapsed while refurbishment work was being carried out almost ten years and was demolished.
Brighton and Hove City Council has previously given planning permission for flats on the King Alfred site rising to more than 100m – almost twice the height – just half a mile away.
Both sites are in the Hove seafront tall building zone.
Hyde also plans to work with the council on improvements to the Hove lawns area to the south of the site and to the west of the King Alfred Leisure Centre.
The housing association said: “The Hyde Group has announced plans for a high-quality major residential development on the former Sackville Hotel site on the corner of Sackville Gardens and Kingsway on Hove seafront.
“The plans will deliver 107 new homes as part of a major redevelopment of the site within a 17-storey building.
“The site has been derelict for around nine years, an eyesore on the seafront since the former hotel partially collapsed and had to be demolished in 2006.
“Several previous attempts to develop the site in recent years have stalled. Given the site’s prominent location, Hyde’s proposal is to deliver a high-quality building that will enhance the surrounding area.
“Brighton and Hove has a significant shortage of housing land and a huge shortfall in the supply of all types of housing, with an additional 30,000 homes needed by 2030 in order to meet the objectively assessed housing need. It is vital that we make the best use of available land.”
Tom Shaw, development director (south) for the Hyde Group, said: “This is a prominent site on Hove seafront which deserves a high-quality building with real architectural and design merit.
“Hyde has a strong track record of investing in delivering high-quality developments and creating places where people want to live and work.
“We believe that the proposed development will enhance the surrounding area and Hove seafront as well as providing investment for improvements to public open space on the seafront itself.
“We are working with Brighton-based architects Yelo on the plans and would invite local people to attend the public exhibition and to see the plans.”
The public exhibition is taking place in the ballroom at the King Alfred Leisure Centre on Hove Seafront from 10am to 4pm on Saturday (21 November).
Councillor Robert Nemeth, who lives close by, said: “This proposal presents an opportunity to build the city’s first quality tall building.
“Those living around the site must be given a chance to properly see the plans in their current form and, ultimately, express their concerns. The public open days are the start of this process.
“I have no doubt that the scheme will evolve and am confident that the end result will be something of which the city will be proud.”
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.