• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Mice, filth and untrained staff lead to £12k fine for Brighton restaurant

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 7 Dec, 2015 at 10:57AM
A A
2
Mice, filth and untrained staff lead to £12k fine for Brighton restaurant

A Brighton restaurant run by untrained staff using dirty, broken and greasy kitchen equipment in filthy, rodent infested conditions has been fined £11,937 by magistrates.

Little Bay cooker
Organic Moments Limited, which runs the Little Bay restaurant on the Kings Road, pleaded guilty to 14 counts of food hygiene breaches at Eastbourne Magistrates on Friday.

When the council’s food safety team carried out a routine kitchen inspection at the beginning of July they found the cooker and chargrill caked in layers of burnt-on grease and food debris, trays of uncovered food, dirty floors and filthy cloths and tea towels swimming in a tray of dirty water.

They also discovered a dark brown puddle of oil on a ledge behind cooking equipment, a pool of grease dripping from the flue onto the roof outside and a congealed, dried out fish dish in the fridge.

In the breakfast bar there was evidence of mice and spilt rodent bait as well as crumbs, dirt and food debris on the floor.

Little Bay. Image taken from Google Streetview
Little Bay. Image taken from Google Streetview

The inspection revealed that food safety records had not been filled out since May 2015 and that staff had not received adequate training in food hygiene.

Officers made regular visits in July and August, but although some cleaning was carried out, some areas were still filthy. No real progress was made to clean up until the end of August. The premises food hygiene rating was zero.

Last month food safety officers went back again. They found staff had made significant improvements and were able to rescore the premises with a three (out of five) star food hygiene rating.

Councillor Gill Mitchell, chair of the city’s environment committee, said: “We are pleased that Little Bay has finally reached a satisfactory hygiene standard thanks to the persistence of our officers.

“It is simply not acceptable to operate in filthy conditions and put the public at risk. Our food safety team is there to make sure premises selling food are safe and to give support, training and advice to businesses to achieve high standards.”

The standards of eateries in the city are improving year on year. The council’s food safety team works with food businesses to improve standards to ensure the food they sell is safe and will use legal powers to ensure poor standards will not be tolerated.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Marty says:
    11 years ago

    At least the filth was organic…

    Reply
  2. Claire Fergusson -otoole says:
    10 years ago

    Very disappointed to hear filthy conditions at one of my favourite eateries. You just don’t know what goes on in the kitchen in the aim of profit…makes me lose confidence in other places…no doubtthey are all serving meat etc using G M disturbing to know the truth .

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Mice, filth and untrained staff lead to £12k fine for Brighton restaurant

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
December 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News